DONAUSCHWABEN-VILLAGES-L Archives

From: ajleeb <>
Subject: Re: [DVHH-L] Camps in Ludwigsburg
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:33:26 -0600

Chris.
One has to know the difference between a concentration camp and a Displaced Persons camp, there is great difference, even though they are called camps.
Concentration-camp; - An enclosed camp for the confinement of prisoners of war, political prisoners, aliens, etc....
Displaced person camp - A person made homeless by war and forced to live in a foreign country.
If your relatives were in a concentration camp in the formally Yugoslavia, they were put in prison account political reason, unless they were in the German Army, then they would've been a prisoner of war.
Some of your relatives, were able to escaped the torture, etc. I won't go into details
the torture they experienced. Such incidence written in books. When your relatives escaped, being German descendent, where are they supposed to go except Austria and Germany. When you arrive in a strange country, don't know anybody, no relatives no friends. You go to the authorities, turn yourself in, and they turn yourself over to the Immigration Department. Lets not forget, your relatives were not the only ones, who escaped. Donauschwabians, not only came from Yugoslavia, some from Romania, Hungary, Czechoslovakia and Poland, also went to Austria and Germany.
To accommodate these Displaced Persons, the Government had built barracks.
These barracks, were built in a section of the city. They had to register at the Unemployment Office, fill out the regular forms, age, trades, children, etc. To my understanding, they were told they could stay in the camp for two years, or until they found work. As you know yourself, a Schwob, never takes advantage of freebees, he has to work, otherwise he gets sick.
This camp was known as a Displaced Person camp. It had no barb wire, no machine-guns, they were not torture, but they were homeless. As the years went by, fortunately, they all found jobs, moved on to different places, and different countries. Wherever they went, they were branded as DISPLACED PERSONS, or
DP's.
Over 85, thousand of your Donauschwaben relatives, died from being shot, tortured and starved in Concentration Camps. Because they didn't have the opportunity to escape, to places called DP camps.
How often did some our List Members, tell us their experience and the trauma,
they remember.
Maybe, some of the List members who experienced such incidents, can come forth and tell us if this really happen.
I hope this will clarify the difference between a DP and a prisoner.

Alex.
---------