DORSET-L Archives

Archiver > DORSET > 1999-11 > 0943380126

From: "rogers3" <>
Subject: Trade
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:02:06 -0000

Hello to all

My request concerns the 'trade' that my Grandfather's Army record shows.

My Grandfather, Edwin William JOY, dob 17/09/1897 was born in Bradpole, Dorset.
He left school at 14 and worked as a Gardener, supporting his widowed Mother.
In 1916, he walked from Bradpole to Dorchester with his 'best mate' and they both volunteered
for the Guards. (The alternative being the Royal Marines).

On his Army Records his trade is given as 'Line' or 'Lime' Maker. (script unclear)
I am wondering whether this trade was related to the Rope Making Industry.
His Father, Joseph JOY worked in this industry as a Hemp Roller.

Hope someone can shed some light.
Thanks in anticipation
Fiona Rogers

Seeking information about JOY and BISHOP families
from Bradpole and Loders

This thread: