DORSET-L Archives

Archiver > DORSET > 2002-11 > 1037210792

From: Paul Benyon <>
Subject: Re: [DOR] Chamen & Richards Importers Blandford Forum
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:09:34 +0000

Hi Michelle

It may be of interest to note that in the 1865 Harrods Directory for
Dorset - in the section under Clergy and Gentry etc for Blandford Forum,
Mr William Henry Chamen is noted as living in the Market Place.

And under Commercial, Chamen and Richards (successors to Thomas
Wellington), importers of foreign wines, and spirits, agents for Guiness
stout and Bass and Allsop's pale ales; office still at The Tabernacle -
it also says see advert, but it looks as though its gone missing.

Regret a Google search produces nothing for this firm today. The Dorset
County Record Office does hold some records for Dorset companies and it
might be worth checking with them to see if anything has been deposited
for this company?

Ah! Bass pale ales and a warm pint of Alslop's bitter on a warm
summer's evening watching a game of bowls ......

Paul
Portland, where it seems we've got NSW's and SA supply of rain for the
next 5 years - it seems to be non-stop!
The Directory was supplied by Archive CD Books

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 06:23:17 +1300, "Michelle Cook"
<> wrote:

>Can anyone on the list please tell me where I may be able to find any
>information regarding the following, eg. books,what documents may be
>available etc. I am interested in find out more regarding who was the Chamen
>who was part owner of this firm.
>Chamen & Richards are listed as importers of Foreign wines, spirits, stout
>and ales, successors to Thomas Wellington, The Tabernacle.Found is in the
>Dorsetshire Directory of 1939, where they are listed at 40 White Cliff Mill
>Street in Blandford and in which it is
>stated "Established 100 years". This must include the Wellington days as
>well.
>
>Regards
>Michele Cook nee Chammen
>Christchurch