DORSETT-L Archives

Archiver > DORSETT > 2009-08 > 1249349281

From: ,
Subject: Re: [DORSETT] Ezra Adcock DORSETT
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 01:28:01 -0000

Author: BethHill58
Surnames: Dorsett , Adcock, Beckerdite, Hinkle
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.dorsett/1.16.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

My mother's maiden name was Dorsett and we are a direct descendent of Leonard (Adcock) Dorsett and the information that I have comes from research conducted by Evelyn Dorsett Newman and her husband. Evelyn was born 4-3-1917 and was also a descendent of Leonard. I have a copy of all of this research given to me by my grandfather, James Early Dorsett if anyone is interested. It is quite detailed at times.

Leonard Adcock Dorsett was born in 1789 as an Adcock but it wasn't until 1821 when he and his brothers and all of their families changed their names to Dorsett.

Ezra, Leonard and James were raised by John Dorsett, son of Reverend Francis Dorsett from Dorsetshire, England.

>From Evelyn's research she believes that Francis Dorsett's daughter married an Adcock and died when the children were young. The children were raised by their uncles John and Henry Dorsett and grandfather Rev. Francis Dorsett and eventually petitioned the court to allow them to legally change their names to Dorsett, to honor those who had raised them.

Frances Dorsett married Rebecca McSwain (2nd wife & mother of children - 1st wife Jane Prather of Md. no children) and had 10 children:

John Dorsett
Solomon Dorsett
Henry Dorsett
Francis Dorsett
Clement Dorsett
Margaret Dorsett
Jane Dorsett
Rachel Dorsett
Rebecca Dorsett
Nancy Dorsett

So if we could find out which young lady above married an Adcock, we may be able to figure out this mystery.

Leonard Dorsett and his wife Mary had 11 children:

John Dorsett (possibly named after his uncle)
Henry Dorsett (possibly named after his other uncle)
James Dorsett
Jesse Dorsett (my ancester) - married Frances Kanoy
Dida Dorsett
Leonard Dorsett, Jr.
Rebecca Dorsett
William Dorsett
Catherine Dorsett
Eleanor Dorsett
Mary A. Dorsett

I have a listing of everyone that they married and dates if anyone is interested.

Leonard and his brother James stayed in NC but Ezra Dorsett moved to Schuyler County, Illinois with almost his whole family except for Sabrea Dorsett who stayed in NC and married Ninavaeh Beckerdite.

Ezra Adcock Dorsett also married a Beckerdite - Mary Polly Beckerdite and had 7 children before they moved to Illinois.

Jesse Dorsett had 7 children with Frances Kanoy:

David Anderson Dorsett - my ancester
Mary E Dorsett
Sarah Margaret Dorsett
Elisa A. Dorsett
William Haggia Dorsett
Martin H.E. Dorsett
Nathan L. Dorsett

David Anderson Dorsett married

William Lindsay Dorsett was the first child of David Anderson Dorsett and Christina Johnson Dorsett.

William Lindsay Dorsett married Eliza Samantha Lou Hinkle Dorsett and they had 8 children:

John Harrison Dorsett
Hattie Corilla Dorsett
Sallie Thursey Dorsett
David Cicero Dorsett
Tena Ora Dorsett
Zeb Odell Dorsett - my Great-Grandfather
Harvey Dorsett
Roy Lee Dorsett

Zeb Odell Dorsett married Ossie Irene Rierson and had 7 children:

James Early Dorsett - my grandfather
Charlotte Theraise Dorsett
Zeb Odell Jr. Dorsett
Randall Staley Dorsett
Robert Grayson Dorsett
Ossie Irene Dorsett
June Marie Dorsett

James Early (Earl) Dorsett married Nellie Marie Evans Dorsett (my grandparents) and had 6 children:

Carol Marie Dorsett - my mother
Linda Earline Dorsett
Barbara Anne Dorsett
Diane Wynona Dorsett
Vicki Sue Dorsett
Betty Jo Dorsett

Carol Marie Dorsett married Donald Morey Cook and had one daughter:

Elizabeth Lynn Cook Hill, which is me.

I also have a copy of a typewritten letter written by William Taylor (WT) Dorsett on September 10, 1919 that talks about some of our early ancestors starting with England working his way forward relating more of the Marsh side of the Dorsett lineage.

Please contact me at if you would like more of this information.

- Beth Hill

Important Note: