DOUBELL-L Archives

Archiver > DOUBELL > 2002-09 > 1032801426

From: "Millicent & Hugh" <>
Subject: Re: [DOUBELL-L] Roll call time again
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 19:17:06 +0200

Hello All Doubells
I'm looking for Michael George Doubell born apparantly in Kent 1799. There
are various family legends as to how he came to be in South Africa: he
'jumped ship' and landed up in SA; he killed a man in an illegal boxing
tournament & was sent here by his commanding officers; he was incarcerated
on Robin Island & swam ashore. Whatever the circumstances, the first record
of him that I can find is his marriage in Somerset East to Aletta Maria de
Lange on 16 Sep 1827. His name is recorded as "George Dobell".

The fact that he was born in Kent in 1799 may have been a misunderstanding,
as another ancestor of the family quite definitely was born in Kent in 1798.
The family may have become muddled between the two. He may well have been
in the army. He was an extremely powerful man, as were many of his
descendents.

His grandon, also Michael George joined Filis' circus as a 'Strong Man' and
performed at Earls Court in 1899. While in London, he married Sarah Ann
Tant age 22 of 22 Pembroke Mews, London. This marriage took place on 25 Feb
1900 at St Philips, Kensington. Her father was Charles Tant. Could anyone
advise me on how I could find out more information about her family?

Regards
Millicent