DOUGLAS-L Archives

Archiver > DOUGLAS > 2003-09 > 1064243210

From: "Marsha Hamilton" <>
Subject: [DOUGLAS] Please help me? Douglas family of Scotland to Va to Ky md Adams
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:06:50 -0400

[DOUGLAS] Douglas family of Scotland to Va to Ky md Adams
I am trying to find "documentaion" on this family listed below. If this is
your family and you can or are willing to contact me I'd appreciate it so
very much. Iam told that William Douglas was b bef. in Glencaim, Scotland
and that he married Grisheald Macleand..... but try as I might .........I
CAN FIND NO PROOF of this. NO court records or anything but information of
their existence on internet sites.....Can anyone or would anyone be willing
to help me find any documents that might be housed somewhere.

WILLIAM DOUGLASS was born Bef. 1671 in Glencaim, Scotland. He married
GRISHEALD MACLEAND. She was born Bef. 1675.

Child of WILLIAM DOUGLAS and GRISHEALD MACLEAND is:
2. i. JOHN BRUCE2 DOUGLAS, b. Abt. 1697, Edinburgh, Scotland; d. 1794.
.........my ancestor.......does anyone have documentation that he was the
son of the parents given and does he have a will, or marriage bond?

Generation No. 2
2. JOHN BRUCE2 DOUGLAS (WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1697 in Edinburgh,
Scotland, and died 1794. He married JUDITH MOORMAN, daughter of CHARLES
MOORMAN and ELIZABETH REYNOLDS. She died in Preceded her husband in
death..............Does anyone know if there is a marriage bond or will for
John Bruce Douglas and/or his wife?

Notes for JOHN BRUCE DOUGLAS:
DOUGLAS FAMILY.
The present descendants of this family use only one "s" but originally the
name was spelled with the two, "ss" as is shown in many documents of record.

JOHN DOUGLAS was kidnapped when a baby and brought to VIRGINIA. The exact
date of his birth is not known, but from circumstance it seems he was born
about 1700 or a little earlier. He was born in Scotland and was in the line
for an Earldom.
IS there any proof of this....kidnapping?

Who brought JOHN to VIRGINIA is not known, or where he first lived in
VIRGINIA. There was a DOUGLASS FAMILY in NEW KENT, CO., in 1670 or 1689 and
it may be that JOHN lived there. He became a citizen of SPOTSYLVANIA CO.,
VA and acquired land from a MR. CURTIS in 1731. Later this land was in what
became ORANGE CO., VA (1734).

JUDITH MOORMAN (daugher of CHARLES and ELIZABETH MOORMAN) was a a QUAKER
and married JOHN DOUGLAS about 1751. Their children's births were
registered in QUAKER RECORDS...........IF anyone has a copy of these records
may I PLEASE pay you for a copy of them??

When John died, his "WILL" was filed and probated in ORANGE CO., VA and
from this "WILL" we have given the married names of his DAUGHTERS. JOHN'S
SONS lived in ALBEMARLE CO., VA (just across the ORANGE CO., VA line) and
from "THE HISTORY OF ALBERMARLE CO" by REV. EDGAR WOODS more information was
gleaned.........IF anyone has a copy of this may I please buy one and pay
you for your trouble.

In BARBOURSVILLE, VA....(ALBEMARLE CO.) there are DOUGLASS DESCENDANTS
living as of AUGUST, 1960.

JOHN'S "WILL" was found in WILL BOOK #3, pp 307-309.....ORANGE CO., VA.
He said CHARLES DOUGLAS was his ELDEST SON. (Why she puts the "2" Charles's
name, I do not know) So for my purpoes this line would run as follows"

JOHN DOUGLAS born about 1700 in SCOTLAND DIED 1794
married JUDITH MOORMAN, about 1731 in ORANGE CO., VA
CHILDREN:
1. CHARLES DOUGLAS,Sr... born April 29, 1732 died 1823 md ANNA ADAMS (d/o
ROBERT ADAMS and MOURNING LEWIS.)...........I AM DESCENDED FROM THIS LINE
BUT I HAVE NO DOCUMENTATION OF MARRIAGE OR WILL, OR DEEDS......if anyone had
these documentation please contact me and I will pay you for copies.

2. ELIZABETH DOUGLAS born April 18, 1733 married MR. EATON or EATEN

3. THOMAS DOUGLAS born September 2, 1740 married MARGARET HERNDON

4. MARY (POLLY) DOUGLAS b June 12, 1744 married MR. JONES

5. JUDITH DOUGLAS born July 18, 1746 married JASON BOCOCK

6. JOHN DOUGLAS, JR born August 8, 1748 married MISS BARKSDALE (d/o
WILLIAM B.

7. ANNE DOUGLAS born Feburary 10, 1750

8. ACHILLES DOUGLAS born 22, 1752.......no month married MISS TERRELL

9. DORCAS DOUGLAS born Jan 09. 1755

________The BOWCOCK and BARKSDALE FAMILIES intermarried again with the
DOUGLAS COUSINS, as will be found in MARRIAGE RECORDS of ORANGE and
ALBERMARLE COUNTIES of VIRGINIA:

The DOUGLAS descendants of BARBOURSVILLE desecend from JOHN DOUGLAS, JR.
and his wife, MRS. BARKSDALE.

THOMAS DOUGLAS was a REVOLUTIONARY WAR SOLDIER, and CHARLES (BEING A
QUAKER) furnished supplies for the Army in Lieu of combat duty.

>From the "WILL" of CHARLES DOUGLAS, Sr. it seems his wife was deceased and
he names his living children. He also lived on the BARBOURSVILLE ROAD, a
few miles from the ORANGE COUNTY LINE. His "WILL" was probated MARCH 3,
1823 in ALBERMARLE COUNTY. He names:

1. CHARLES DOUGLAS, Jr. born to CHARLES DOUGLAS, SR. (MOVED TO KENTUCKY

Children of JOHN DOUGLAS and JUDITH MOORMAN are:
3. i. CHARLES3 DOUGLAS, SR, b. April 9, 1732, Came to Green Co., KY; d.
1823.
4. ii. THOMAS DOUGLAS.
iii. JOHN DOUGLAS.

Generation No. 3

3. CHARLES3 DOUGLAS, SR (JOHN BRUCE2, WILLIAM1) was born April 9, 1732 in
Came to Green Co., KY, and died 1823. He married ANNA ADAMS 1752, daughter
of ROBERT ADAMS and MOURNING LEWIS. She was born Bet. 1732 - 1735.

Notes for CHARLES DOUGLAS, SR:
History of Albermarle Co., VA
Page 180-181

The Douglas family was living in the Cove neighborhood of Albermarle Co.,
VA in 1751 and in the North part of the county 1761.

Charles Douglas had two brothers, Thomas and John.

Charles died in 1823.

________CHARLES DOUGLAS owned land in KENTUCKY and gave this to his SONS,
CHARLES and ROBERT He gave his HOMEPLACE to his DAUGHTER, SARAH and
mentioned her FAITHFUL CARE OF HIM.

In the "WILL" he also mentions his BROTHERS, JOHN and THOMAS, and his
NEPHEW JOHN DOUGLAS SON of his BROTHER, JOHN.

He stipulated that his SLAVES were to be FREED and given 20 ACRES of land
upon the death of his Wife.

More About CHARLES DOUGLAS, SR:
Burial: See More

Children of CHARLES DOUGLAS and ANNA ADAMS are:
5. i. ANNE4 DOUGLAS, b. February 10, 1749/50, virgina; d. 1817, daughter of
Charles Douglas, Sr. and Anna Adams.
ii. CHARLES DOUGLAS, JR, b. Abt. 1752, Moved to Kentucky..........
iii. JUDITH DOUGLAS, b. 1761; d. November 1819; m. JOHN DICKERSON, May 28,
1792, Second marriage.; d. Judith is his second wife........
iv. SARAH DOUGLAS, b. Named in father's will got homeplace for her faithful
care of him; m. UNKNOWN, Did not marry before 1823.
v. ROBERT DOUGLAS, b. 1753; d. 1835, Green Co., KY..."will" is in Green
Co., KY named 4 children & 3 gdchildren; m. MARY RHODES, Bet. 1773 - 1774,
Some say he married Dec 02, 1778; b. December 11, 1760, Rec'd money
fromfather's will rather than land that he owned in KY; d. Lived in GREEN
CO., KY on PITMAN'S CREEK now TAYLOR CO., KY.

4. THOMAS3 DOUGLAS (JOHN BRUCE2, WILLIAM1) He married MARGARET HERNDON in
Virginia. She was born in Virgina.

Child of THOMAS DOUGLAS and MARGARET HERNDON is:
i. JAMES4 DOUGLAS, d. migrated Cooper Co., MO in 1820; m. MARY WELLS,
Albermarle Co., VA.

Generation No. 4

5. ANNE4 DOUGLAS (CHARLES3, JOHN BRUCE2, WILLIAM1) was born February 10,
1749/50 in virgina, and died 1817 in daughter of Charles Douglas, Sr. and
Anna Adams. She married JOSEPH TIMBERLAKE, SR, son of PHILLIP TIMBERLAKE
and MARY DIXON. He was born 1752 in Virgina MARSHA HAMILTON'S GGGG
GRANDFATHER, and died in Body Guard to Gen. George Washington......in the
American Revolutionary War buried in Bacon Creek Church Cemetery.

Notes for JOSEPH TIMBERLAKE, SR:
Enlisted in the Revolutionary War in Louisa Co, VA on Feb 28,
1776........Served on Commander-in-Chief's Guard to end of War.

Children of ANNE DOUGLAS and JOSEPH TIMBERLAKE are:
6. i. JOSEPH5 TIMBERLAKE, JR, b. 1788, Virgina MARSHA HAMILTON'S GGG
GRANDFATHER; d. 1860, Hart Co., KY.
7. ii. PHILLIP TIMBERLAKE, b. Virgina; d. Arkansas.
8. iii. JOHN TIMBERLAKE, b. Abt. 1790, This is Linda Rubow's.
iv. CHARLES CHARLIE TIMBERLAKE, b. Abt. 1792, Virgina; d. Tenn....he was a
lawyer......; m. EMILINE TIMBERLAKE.
9. v. ANNIE TIMBERLAKE, b. 1794, Divorced ........see more; d. LaRue Co.,
KY.
vi. DOUGLAS TIMBERLAKE, b. Cumberland Co., KY; d. Cumberland Co., KY.
vii. MOURNING TIMBERLAKE, b. Abt. 1798, Green Co., KY; d. Hart Co., KY; m.
JAMES WILLIAN.
10. viii. ROBERT DOUGLAS TIMBERLAKE, b. December 18, 1807, Green Co., KY;
d. April 4, 1893, Henry Co. Illinois.
11. ix. MARY POLLY TIMBERLAKE, b. 1801, Green Co., KY later LaRue Co., KY;
d. October 20, 1870, LaRue Co., KY some say she is buried in Hart Co., KY.

This thread: