DOUGLASS-L Archives

Archiver > DOUGLASS > 2006-10 > 1161407869

Subject: Re: [DOUGLASS] William Douglas of Voluntown.
Date: 20 Oct 2006 23:17:49 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/JZT.2ACIB/747.1.1.1.1.1.3.1.1

Message Board Post:

Looks like we're talking along the same "lines!"
Here's a rundown of my "line" - you'll notice many of the names you mentioned in your reply. If you're interested in more information on these ancestors, I'd be very glad to share what I have with you.
Starting with the earliest I know of, then listing their sons from whom I descend:
- Robert Douglas, born June 8, 1588, in Ringstead, England or Edinborough, Scotland, unsure. His first wife's surname was possibly Heaton. His second wife, unknown name, was born about 1587-88 or 1592 in Scotland. One of Robert's marriages took place in 1609 in Ringstead.
- William Douglas, born in Scotland on Aug. 9, 1610 and christened Sept. 8 of the following year in Glasgow. He is said to have been born in Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbright, Mosses of Cree, Galloway, Scotland (I love that address!) He settled in Boston in 1640, died in 1660 (some say July 20 or 26, 1682) in New London, Conn.
Married an Ann Mattle (born and christened in 1610 in Ringstead) in about 1635-6, in Ringstead or Scotland, and died Sept. 16 (1685 or 1691) in New London, Conn. Her parents were married in 1593 in Ringstead; her father Thomas was born and christened Oct. 5, 1575 in Ringstead; her mother, name not known, was born in 1573.
- William Douglas, born in Boston on April 1,1645, and christened there on March 8 of the following year. Died March 9, 1725 in New London. Married Abiah Hough, 1648-1715.
- William Douglas, born in New London, Conn., in 1673. Married Sarah Proctor in about 1695. Sarah's family background is very colorful (it's possible her family members were among early settlers of Jamestown, and her father John Proctor was one of the victims of the Salem witch hysteria).
- Asa Douglas, born in Plainfield, Conn., Dec. 11, 1715. Moved to Stephentown, N.Y., where he built a home in 1767 (which I visited a few months ago). Was captain in Revolution. I have very interesting background on him. Married Rebecca Wheeler.
- Asa Douglas, born in Plainfield on Christmas Eve 1739, married Sarah Robbins. Also in Revolution, a major PS; have very interesting info on him also. Died April 17, 1812. I was also able to visit the home he built in Canaan, N.Y.
- John Douglas, born in Canaan, N.Y., in 1772, captain in War of 1812; married Sybil Merrill (daughter of Asher and Delight Sawyer Merrill of Columbia County, N.Y.) in 1793. Also lived in Pawlet, Vermont, and in about 1810 was one of the first settlers of Lebanon Twp., Pa. Died 1842 in Lebanon Twp. Sybil, born in 1793, also in Canaan, died in 1863, also in Lebanon Twp.
- Robbins Douglas, born in Pawlet in 1801, spent his life in Cold Spring/Honesdale area of Pennsylvania; first wife was Hannah Bolkcom, who died 1876. Second wife was Catherine Nelson.
- Robbins Douglas, born in Cold Spring, Pa., on Jan. 5, 1833; first wife was Lucy M. Bass; died in 1901.
This younger Robbins and wife Lucy were the parents of Lenora Douglas Rude, my great-grandmother.
Hope to hear from you soon. My e-mail address is .
Take care

This thread: