DOWNING-L Archives

Archiver > DOWNING > 1998-10 > 0908381888

From: Sherry Kaseberg< >
Subject: Re: [DOWNING-L] Maryland-Ohio Downing Family
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:18:08 -0700

>From Sherry Re: Timothy Downing who married Sarah Chenoweth: For 30+years I
gathered material on this line because evidence pointed to the connection
with my husband's John Downing, son of [no proof] James and Nancy Gardner
Downing of Maryland and PA. There are at least three intermarriages between
the James/John Downing line and the Timothy/George Downing line. John
Downing was in Madison County OH; the Timothy Downing line in Pike County, OH.

For a number of years in the 1960s... I corresponded with Ethel Davis of the
John Downing-Mary Boiler line. I have a snapshot of a coverlet made by Mary
Boiler Downing in OH ca 1841-1845, and owned in 1969 by her great
granddaughter Ethel Downing Davis of New Providence, Iowa. In the 1969
snapshot are Ina Pemberton, Ethel's daughter, and Ina's daughters Carolyn
and Linda.

>From her obituary [of which I do not have the original] in The Cosmos,
Morris Co KS:
Mrs. Mary Downing died December 13, 1882 at the residence of her son William
Downing in Neosho Township. Mary Boiler was born in Greenbrier Co VA May 18,
1792. When about 18 years old her parents moved to OH where she was married
to John Downing on the 17th of June 1813. They lived in Pike and Hancock Cos
OH until 1859 when they came to KS and settled in Neosho Township...Mr.
Downing died December 28, 1859...for more than 40 years Mother Downing made
a profession of faith in Christ and joined United Brethren Church...modest
and retiring in her manner, her acquaintance was not extensive.

Ethel Gay Downing 1892-?, married Wilbur A. Davis 1914 Collins, IA and lived
in New Providence, IA, dau of Ellsworth and Laura Louisa Brown Downing,
granddaughter of George and Lavinah Von Buskirk Downing, great granddaughter
of John and Mary "Polly" Boiler Downing, great great granddaughter of
Timothy and Sarah Chenoweth Downing and David and Nancy Fisher Boiler. David
and Nancy Boiler's wills are in Will Book I, Pike County OH. I have copies
of photos of John Downing son of Timothy, Mary Boiler Downing, Isaac Downing
son of John and Mary, Timothy Downing son of John and Mary, Emilia Downing
Clymer, David and George Downing, Emilia, Jane and rusena Downing, William
and David Downing, if anyone wants them.

References and sources for the John Downing-Mary Boiler line:
History of Hancock Co OH;
Index to Ancestors, Dau of 1812 Veterans, 1892-1970, author unknown;
Donald J. Smith 1321 Lawrence Street, Emporia KS 66801 in 1996;
Clymer Cemetery, Hancock Co OH [I don't have list of burials, but there are
Downings];
According to Ethel Downing Davis, several burials on Isaac Downing's farm in
Morris Co KS;
Ethel Downing Davis.

There is a web site with Chenoweth genealogy and a debate on who Mary
Calvert was and the disputes about the Chenoweth lineage. I don't have web
address. In 1979 Mrs. H.E. Donnelly, 76H Calle Aragon, Laguna Hills, CA
92653 was working on the Chenoweth-Calvert-Downing genealogy, her line being
Hannah Chenoweth who married James Carter Sr. in the 1730s. Also see: The
Chenowith Family by A.C. Chenowith, 1894; Chenowith History by Cora
Chenowith Hiatt, 1925; History of Virginia by John Bush, 1800-1803. There
was a Chenoweth CEmetery in Pike Co OH which was, at some time, damaged by
high water.

I have a great deal of information on this Downing-Chenoweth line. How to
share it? With whom? Sherry