DRAKE-L Archives

Archiver > DRAKE > 2001-11 > 1006025529

Subject: [DRAKE] DRAKE/Caroline or Angeline 1850
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 14:32:09 EST

In a message dated 11/13/2001 8:04:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> <<I find it near impossible to believe that there were two Joshua
> R. Boatrights on the 1850 census, in the same district, both
> with sons one year old named Chesley but with different
> wives, >>

Dear Charles,
Yes, I agree that it is very unlikely that there were two men married to
women with names so much alike and with sons named almost the same. I have
found other instances in which families have been counted twice in the same
census.
I crossed my fingers and sent for the marriage record for Joshua and Miss
DRAKE hoping that the penmanship may have been sloppy and the person who
wrote the index had misread it----sad to say, the handwriting was PERFECT and
very clearly, it was Caroline.
I want to believe, with all my heart, that Caroline and Angeline are one and
the same, but more research is needed. I will continue to search for her
parents with the hope that she might be mentioned in her father's will.
Joshua and Angeline left GA in about 1858 for AL. The 1860 Census for DeKalb
County, AL shows children born in GA between 1850 and 1856 and a child born
in AL, age 2 years.

<<<I like the age 30 better for Joshua, especially if he had that
earlier marriage.>>

In the later Census for 1860, 1870 and 1880, the age of Joshua would support
this theory.

Thank you so much for your advice and research on my behalf. I appreciate it
very much.
Mary

This thread: