DRAKE-L Archives

Archiver > DRAKE > 2006-01 > 1137284484

From: "Alfred Drake" <>
Subject: Re: [DRAKE] Captain Drake
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:21:24 -0800

I found this wonderful site, thought I'd share:
http://www.loc.gov/rr/rarebook/catalog/drake/drake-4-famousvoy.html

SFD was knighted on April 4, 1581.

Quoting from the above link, "Drake was noted in his life for one daring
feat after another; his greatest was his circumnavigation of the earth, the
first after Magellan's. He sailed from Plymouth on Dec. 13, 1577. The
squadron consisted of five vessels, the two larger ships being the Pelican,
Drake's own ship, renamed Golden Hind on the voyage, on August 20, 1578; and
the Elizabeth, commanded by John Winter. Three smaller vessels were the
Marigold, Swan, and Benedict. Only one ship, the Golden Hind, made the
complete voyage, returning on Sept. 26, 1580, "very richly fraught with
gold, silver, pearls and precious stones" (Stow, Annales , p. 807)."

This thread: