DRIGGERS-L Archives

Archiver > DRIGGERS > 2005-11 > 1132894186

From: Yvonne Norman <>
Subject: Re: [Driggers] Gleanings From my DRIGGERS Files
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:49:46 -0800 (PST)

The Sweats were close to the Driggers. My Aunt Helen Driggers married Willie K. Sweat from the Marlboro area. His first name might have been William, but they always called him Willie. Although I too know that I decend from Emanuel, I think my line came from the ones in Craven, Richmond and a few surrounding counties. I STILL have not been able to prove it though. Some days I get tired of "Diggin for Driggers" and have to let it go for a while. Then I jump right back in. LOL!!! I am glad you are finding some info on yours. Good Luck!!
Blessings, Yvonne

Jackie Davis <> wrote:
Here is a chronological list of the info I have found on the Driggers family
before my ancestors 1830s move to Alabama (excepting census info, which is
already chronological). In AL, Isaac W. married Ann Rogers (certainly not a
first marriage) and his son Isaac J. married Eleanor (various spellings)
Rogers. Apparently, the Driggers and Rogers families knew each other back in
the Carolinas.

A surprise to me was the mentions of the Driggers and Sweat families in
conjunction with each other, as the Sweats are on the other side of my family.

1645 May 27 Jane Driggers, one year old, is bond to service of Francis Pott
until she is 31 years old; her indenture states that Emmanuel Driggers
“bought and paid for to Capt. Robert Shepard”; Northampton Co, VA

1645 Elizabeth Driggers, 8 years old, is bond to service of Francis Pott;
listed as “given to my negro “Emmanuel Driggers) by one who brought her up
by the space of 8 years...” Northampton Co, VA

1645 May 27 Emmanuel Driggers “Negroe”, slave of Francis Pott, Magotha Bay,
Northampton Co, VA, purchased a cow and calf from his master.

1649 Emmanuel Driggers and wife Frances were “assigned as servants to
Stephen Charlton to pay Pott’s debt to Charlton; Northampton Co, VA

1652 May 24 Emmanuel Driggers bought Jane Driggers freedom from Francis Pott;
Northampton Co, VA

1652 Dec 30 Emmanuel Driggers and Bashaw Fernando clarified as owners of cattle
they acquired as servants:

“ye said cattle, etc. are ye proper goods of the sd Negroes”

Northampton Co, VA

1656 Emmanuel Driggers gives a black heifer to a young slave on a nearby
plantation; Northampton Co, VA

1657 Edward Driggers, about 3 years old, is sold to Henry Armitrading;
Northampton Co, VA

1657 Dec Ann Driggers, 10 years old, is sold to John Pannell; Northampton Co,
VA

1658 Emmanuel Driggers freed by William Kendall, second husband of Potts’
widow; Northampton Co, VA

1661 Emmanuel Driggers married second wife, Elizabeth, who was probably white,
since she was not tithable; Northamption Co, VA

1660-63 Manuell Rodrigues head of a household paying three tithes; Northampton
Co, VA

1664 Manuell Rodrigues paid tithe only on himself; Northampton Co, VA

Jane Driggers has an illegitimate daughter, Sarah Landum, by Irish freeman,
Dennam O’Landum; Northampton Co, VA

1664-67 Thomas Driggers is taxable in Thomas Poynter’s household; Northampton
Co, VA

1665 Emmanuel Driggers leased 245 acres for 99 years from former master,
William Kendall; Northampton Co, VA

Jane Driggers married John Gussal; Northampton Co, VA

1666 Thomas Driggers is present to the grand jury for the sin of fornication
with Sarah King, who he married about a year later; Northampton Co, VA

Frances Driggers taxed in Thomas Poynter’s household; Northampton Co, VA

1666 Apr Jane Driggers is charged with failing to prove John Gussal’s will;
Northampton Co, VA

1666 Jun Jane Driggers is married to William Harman (later identified as
“Negro” and taxable in the household of William Kendall), who takes care of
the Gussal estate problem; Northampton Co, VA

1667 Jane Driggers Harman listed as taxable in the household of her husband,
William; Northampton Co, VA

1668 Thomas Driggers’ master, William Kendall, complained to the court that
Thomas is still a slave belonging to him and he was neglecting his master,
“Negroes” John Francisco and Francis Payne complained that Thomas was
abusing them; he is ordered lashed and Thomas’ child, a slave of Kendall’s,
is indentured to Francisco until age 21; Northampton Co, VA

Thomas Rodriggus, “Negro” is listed as head of his own household of 4,
including wife, Sarah and two other men, apparently in disregard of the above;
Northampton Co, VA

1671 Thomas Rodriggus is listed as head of a household of 6, including Sarah;
Northampton Co, VA

1672 Emmanuel Driggers assigned the unexpired part of his lease to John
Waterson; Northampton Co, VA

1673 Emmanuel Driggers gave horses to his daughters Frances and Ann, who were
still slaves, and children Devorick and Mary, who were free.

1673 Sep Jane Driggers Harman is chosen as wet nurse for illegitimate child of
Nicholas Silvedo and Mary Gale, both white servants; Northampton Co, VA

1674 Mary Driggers gives birth to an illegitimate child and the parish pays
her tax; Northampton Co, VA

1675 Frances Driggers taxed in John Eyre’s household; Northampton Co, VA

1677 Emmanuel Driggers was taxable in John Michael’s Division in his own
household on himself; Northampton Co, VA

1677 Jane Driggers Harman and husband taxable; Northampton Co, VA

1678 Frances Driggers recorded her livestock mark in court; Northampton Co, VA

1679 Mar 28 William Driggers and wife Alice, are sentenced to lashing for
killing a hog belonging to a neighbor; Northampton Co, VA

1685 Emmanuel Driggers is mentioned in an administration account presented to
the court by William Kendall; Northampton Co, VA

1688 Devorick/Derrick Driggers moved to Somerset Co, MD with his
sister-in-law, Sarah Driggers; Northampton Co, VA

1693-94 William Driggers, still a slave, dies; Northampton Co, VA

1748 Sep 27 Mark Driggers enters 100 ac in Craven Co on the branches of Swifts
Creek and on the south side of Great Swamp, Bladen Co, NC

1758 Oct 19 William Driggars living on Gum Swamp (Richmond, later Scotland Co),
less than five miles from both Robeson Co and Marlboro Dist, SC

1759 Winsler Driggers reported in the Cheraw District between 1759 to 1771.
He is called “an outlaw killed by a group led by Phillip Pledger” and he
served in the French and Indian War. Reported on the Gregg Muster Roll.

1769 Betty and Eleanor Driggas listed at tithables in Craven Co, NC

1769 Sep 10 William Driggers ordered bound as an apprentice to Michael Mason to
learn the art of a blacksmith until he is 21 years of age; Marlborough Co, SC

1773 Oct 13

1776 Jul 06 Ephraim Driggers listed a molato on list of taxables

1778 Daniel Driggers enlisted in the SC Fifth Regiment on 10 August 1778 and
deserted on 8 March 1779.

1778 Aug 10 Isaac Driggers enlisted in the SC Fifth Regiment.

Johnson Driggers enlisted in the SC Fifth Regiment.

William Driggers enlisted in the SC Fifth Regiment.

1778 Sep 17 William Driggers enlisted in the SC Second Regiment deserted on 4
Mar 1779.

1782 Julius Driggers served in the militia during 1782 under General Francis
Marion and supplied beef for militia use; Cheraws District, SC.

Devereaux Driggs received a bounty grant for his services (name also appears
as Debrix Driggus.)

1780 Sep 01 Ephraim Driggers a “chain carrier” in survey of land on west
side of Ashpole swamp; Bladen Co, NC

1785 May 7 “Catian Drigers duly sworn saith she knew Felish Bowinton (Pelish
Bowinton) many years and knows her always to pass for a white woman and
believes here to be an English woman & clar (sic) of any Negro blood, Indian or
Musti. Sig: Catian (her mark) Drigers before Philip Bethea, JP. Rec. 27 Dec
1805; Georgetown Dist, SC.

1785 Dec 26 Julius Driggars, along with 34 others taken into custody for
trespass on land of John Cole Sr (John Bethea, George Sweat, Robert Locklear
also involved.) Richmond Co, NC

1788 Dec 21 Ephraim Driggars mentioned as having a patent on land at Bull
Branch (about one miles east of the present Bladen-Anson border, part of Anson
Co before 1777; Bull Branch is west of Turnout, southwest to Leith’s Creek
(now Bridge Creek, just north of Little Pee Dee where it crosses
Dillon-Marlboro Co line)

1788 Dec William Driggers filed court papers as administrator of Charles Kiby;
Marlborough Co, SC

1801 Jan 13 Thomas Drigars purchases land from John Jackson and his wife Phebe;
“100 acres being on line dividing my land & William Jackson’s land then up
said line then out towards Caney Branch...; Marion District, SC

1801 Jul 21 Thomas Driggers mentioned in deed grant of John Jackson,
identifying property on “northeast side of Catfish”; Philip Bethea is
recorder. Marlborough District, Marion Co, SC

1802 Jul 5 Ferebah Driggers is owed 14 pounds 8 shillings 7 pence by the estate
of William Cox and 10 pounds 17 shillings 1 penny “for her court costs and
damages.” Marion District, SC

1804 Oct 18 Fereby Drigars is owed money by the estate of William Cox. Marion
Co, SC

1810 Dec 17 Isaac Driggers and Stephen Williams “all from Marion District,
South Carolina” are granted a passport to “travel through the Creek Nation
of Indians” by the State of Georgia.

1812 Isaac Driggers appears twice in the muster roll of the 5th Regiment of
South Carolina Militia (Keith’s Regiment.) The name appears twice,
references 348 and 355. There were probably two men of the same name; both
were privates.

1815 May 03 Estate of Naomi Driggers estate handled by Gilbert, Benjamin and
Solomon Sweat; Marlborough Co, SC

1818 Aug 5 Mark Driggers mentioned as having granted land to Joel Ridgel that
Ridgel is selling to John Bethea; this land touching properties of John
Swinney, Stephen Gibson, George Clark and Timothy Rogers, the “land taking
the run of the branch down to the run of Reedy Creek up said creek to Mill
Branch up said branch to the Mill and above the Mill to High water mark to John
Sweeny’s line.”

1829 Jan 14 Isaac W. Driggers one of the appraisers at the administration of
the estate of Joel Ridgell “of Reedy Creek”(Timothy Rogers also an
appraiser). Marlborough Dist, SC

1829 Jan 16 T.S. Driggers a purchaser at the Ridgell Estate sale (along with
lots of Ridgells, Rogers and Betheas); Marlborough Dist, SC

1829 May 18 Isaac D. Driggers is administrator of the estate of Mourning
Beckwith (mother of Joel Ridgell’s widow); one of the bondsmen is Isaac
Driggers.

1829 June 3 Isaac W. Driggers is listed as a purchaser at the Mourning Beckwith
estate sale. (Tristram Bethea also listed.) Marion Co, SC

1830 Mar 9 Isaac Driggers apparently being sued in Marion Co by Herod
Stackhouse for money owed for the care of Martha Beckwith:

“Mr. E.B. Wheeler, Please pay Herod Stackhouse Esq. the money in your hands
that is coming to me from the Estate of Mourning Beckwith. Signed: Isaac W. Driggers.”