DUMFRIES-GALLOWAY-L Archives

Archiver > DUMFRIES-GALLOWAY > 1998-07 > 0900845040

From: S M Carter <>
Subject: ROLL CALL - ALLAN - GIBSON - MCGOWAN
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 11:44:00 +0100 (BST)

Dear All,

I am interested in finding descendants of Robert Gibson, a stone mason,
and Mary Allan who married in Kirkbean 22 Jan 1778.
As yet I know of only three children. Jane, born about 1780, married
George Duncan of Anwoth, Kirkcudbrightshire. James, born about 1781,
died in July 1835 - name on his brother's gravestone in Haugh of Urr.
Thomas, born 29 May 1795, New Abbey, married 2 May 1820, his first
cousin, Agnes Allan, in Bridgenorth, Shropshire. He returned to Scotland
and lived at Little Cocklick, Haugh of Urr - died 30 June 1861. I have
full details of Thomas's descendants but seeking information of
descendants of Jane and James and any other siblings.

Also seeking descendants of James Allan and Janet McKinnell, particulary
of John, born 1796 who went to New Zealand and Thomas born 1784, who was
said to be a coach builder in Glasgow. (Doris Ward has also asked for
information on this family.) There were four other children, James,
William, Agnes and Andrew whose families we know about but would be glad
to hear from any descendants. Agnes married Thomas Gibson (see para
above).

Also seeking descendants or information on James McGowan (1747-c1819)
and Jane Palmer (c1767-1808) who are both married in Balmaghie
Churchyard. Their son, William, my great-great grandfather, married
Janet Johnstone and lived in Haugh of Urr. Information sought on any
relatives of this family.

Sheena Carter
()

This thread: