DUMFRIES-GALLOWAY-L Archives

Archiver > DUMFRIES-GALLOWAY > 2005-04 > 1113517883

From: "Iain Hutchison" <>
Subject: Re: [D-G LIST] Scottish Poor Laws - Closeburn
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:31:38 +0100

Pat,

You might find this site interesting:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/UpperNithsdale/UpperNithsdale.shtml

This is the poorhouse that Big Bill mentioned. It opened in 1855. Cample
may have been a less grand affair that preceded Rowantree. A New Poor Law
Act became effective in 1845 and such poorhouses were erected in some
parishes after this time. Sometimes parishes entered a joint venture, thus
a 'combination' poor house. Under the New Poor Law, relief was for the
'disabled', i.e. those who were not able-bodied and that included people
with impairments, elderly folks, and mothers with young children (widows,
deserted wives, and single mothers). Relief for the 'ablebodied' was
generally refused (although the website above makes reference to some
ablebodied provision!).

Out relief was preferred by parochial baords because it was cheaper than
institutional provision. But poorhouses (rather than workhouses in
Scotland) were used for certain paupers. This is not say that pauper
inmates in poorhouses were not expected to undertake some kind of work,
usually of a domestic nature such as laundry, scrubbing, etc.

Prior to the 1845 Act, poor relief was a function of the Church of Scotland.
For reading see Rosalind Mitchison's 'The Old Poor Law in Scotland'.

Iain