DUMFRIES-GALLOWAY-L Archives

Archiver > DUMFRIES-GALLOWAY > 2005-05 > 1117154677

From: "Kate Hands" <>
Subject: David McKay of Dumfries
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:44:37 +1000

Would love to find my gt gt grandfather David McKay on 1841 Census if possible.
When he joined the Royal Marines on 14th Oct 1841 said he had been born in the Parish of Dumfries, in the town of Dumfries, in County of Dumfries. His age was given as 20 years, 2 months in 1841. So probably born c1820. I would be ever grateful if he could be found on Census in 1841. On his marriage certificate of 1849 he gave his father's name as Robert McKay, labourer. So perhaps in 1841 he lived in the household of his father. This poor fellow served endlessly overseas in the Royal Marines and died in 1873 from a fall from a third storey window in Chatham, Kent. Inquest stated that it was an accidental death altho he appeared to sit poised on window ledge before the fall. Would be grateful for help in trying to track down his family in Dumfries area.

Kate Hands,
Australia

This thread: