DUNLAP-L Archives

Archiver > DUNLAP > 1999-02 > 0919217550

From: "KDunlap" <>
Subject: Re: [DUNLAP-L] HUGH DUNLAP
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:12:30 -0500

Hello to all on the list,

I can shed some light on William's question regarding Hugh W. Dunlap. He was
a son of Hugh Dunlap (1769-1846), who m. 1794, Susannah H. GILLIAM
(1775-1859). Hugh came to Knoxville with goods from Philadelphia in 1792,
and opened the second store there.

Hugh White Dunlap, and his twin brother, William Claiborne Dunlap (for whom
Dunlap, TN. is named after), were born 25 Feb 1798. They both studied at
Ebenezer Academy and Maryville College, becoming lawyers.

Hugh W. moved to Henry Co. in Western Tenn. in 1822 where Paris would be
incorporated in 1823. That year, the rest of his family would also relocate
there, except his older brother, Richard G. Dunlap (1796-1841) also a
lawyer, who would remain in Knox Co. where he was elected State
Representative 1829-1833, and later a member of the cabinet of the Republic
of Texas under Lamar.

Hugh and William were judges in Western Tennessee, and Hugh was also
District Atty, and State Rep. from Paris, and bought and sold land in Henry,
and other West Tenn. counties, as well as in Mississippi and Louisiana. Hugh
was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Mexican War. He married Susan Kerr in 1847,
and one source which I can't locate right now, lists some children. He died
of cholera in New Orleans, March 27, 1849.

My Great Grandfather James T. Dunlap (1810-1879), was also a lawyer, and I
am descended from he and his 2ND wife, Martha (Johnnie) SPENCE (1831-1898).
I am very fortunate in that this group of Dunlaps being lawyers and early
settlers in more than 1 county, have left quite a lot of records, and are
much easier to track than other branches of my family.

I'm sorry, but I have no info on the Hugh Dunlap of Va. who was the original
subject of this message.

Ken Dunlap