DUNLAP-L Archives

Archiver > DUNLAP > 1999-04 > 0923984298

From: "Beverly A. Schroeder" <>
Subject: Re: [DUNLAP-L] Robert Dunlap Scotland< PA
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 02:18:18 -0400

Hi Doris and Jennifer,

I'm sending this identical mail to both of you and want you to know that I
spent over an hour earlier tonight searching for the info on these
Wyoming/Luzerne Co. Dunlaps that I had researched in 1996-7, which I will
describe in my next e-mail, since it's already 2 AM, here! I believed
then, as I more recently do now, that my gr-grandfather was also somehow
related to this line! Should we start a 3-way round-robin research team,
here?

My George W. Dunlap was born 16 May 1838, supposedly at Huntington, PA
according to his Civil War pension papers. However, I have searched and
searched for him in all 1850 PA Huntingtons/Huntingdons, plus inumerable
other PA towns/counties, to no avail. A researcher I hired in 1996
believed that George W.'s family probably left Maine before 1840 and may
have been somewhere in NY in 1850. The most likely place would have been
Tioga Co., NY, although I also suspect that he and his family may have come
into Wyoming/Luzerne Co. by 1850. Tioga Co. is directly on the PA border,
above Wyoming/Luzerne Counties and the future in-laws of George's oldest
son, James Ellsworth Dunlap lived there in 1850. These surnames
(Wentworth/Osburn/Osborn) plus other allied lines
(Schoonover/Sturdevant/Blair/Conklin/Ellsworth) also lived in and around
Tioga Co., NY, before and during that time. By 1856 George W. was 18 yrs
old and first found in Rush Twp, Centre Co., PA. He was a sawyer, working
for O.L.Schoonover, in and around Philipsburg. So, where was he in 1850??
Does he appear in any of your research? Maybe, through joint research, you
will find your Dunlap ancestor(s) and I will find mine.

I have various census recordings of these Dunlaps of Wyoming/Luzerne Co.,
estate papers for some of them, correspondence with the Wyoming Co. Hist
Soc, etc. I must search in my paper "piles" for some of it. Therefore,
I'll share more with you late tomorrow, if you like. Meanwhile, please
search for my GWD as a 12 yr old who may not have lived in the 1850
household of one of these Dunlaps but who may have been his father. Where
was Obediah Dunlap living in 1850? Did he or the William Dunlap at Falls
Creek? have a son, GWD? Also, please let me know if Tioga Co., NY or Maine
hold any attraction with your Dunlaps.

Anxious to hear from you....

Bev Schroeder
Michigan