DUNN-L Archives

Archiver > DUNN > 2004-06 > 1087057163

Subject: Re: Thomas Dunn 1606
Date: 12 Jun 2004 10:19:23 -0600

Surnames: DUNN
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/hlT.2ACEB/3207.2.1.1

Message Board Post:

Hmmm... Bill, I guess we couldn't keep it a secret very long so here goes....
Bill got that info from me about a year ago. I am a direct line DUNN descendant from Thomas DUNN(E) supposedly born 1606 in Brandesburton Parish located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. His Christening date is noted as being 24 August 1606 and his father is named as being Thomae DUNNE. Thomae DUNNE I guess-timate being born about 1570-1580/1. I guessed this 11 yr. span because of the birth of Thomae's other children as follows:
1. (M) Josephus DUN, Chr. 18 Oct 1601 in Brandesburton Parish.
2. (F) Jana DUN, Chr. 10 Jul 1603 in Brandesburton Parish.
3. (M) Wilmo DUN, Chr. 1 Mar 1604 in Brandesburton Parish.
[4. (M) Thomas DUNN, Chr. 24 Aug 1606 in Brandesburton Parish.]
5. (F) Isabella DUNN, Chr. 4 Nov 1610 in Brandesburton Parish. Note: Isabella married Joannes AUGRAM 23 Jan 1635 also in Brandesburton Parish.
6. (F) Anna DUNNE, Chr. 20 Feb 1613 in Brandesburton Parish. Note: "Ann" married Robert BURGESS who died 1683 in Virginia. It is believed that Robert and Ann (DUNNE) BURGESS are the parents of Obedience BURGESS who married JOHN DUNN(E) I, son of 1606 Thomas. This theory implies that first cousins have married and most likely at the New Colony in about 1664.
7. (F) Elizabetha DUNNE, Chr. 2 Apr 1615 in Brandesburton Parish.

As I said, Bill and I have had this information for about a year now and both of us have been working very hard to prove it factual BEFORE providing it to other DUNN line researcher's. I MUST say this before proceeding due to a very recent discovery I made; this information is NOT 100% proven to be our Thomas DUNN(E).

You fellow relatives/researcher's may recall that years ago, all we knew was that Thomas DUNN(E) was from "Chosen", England. Well, I have recently run across that particular Thomas DUNN(E) listed in the same book source as Thomas DUNN who was indentured to Sir Gov. George YEARDLEY.
That book is "The Complete Book of Emigrants, 1607-1660" by Peter Wilson COLDHAM. (Note, this is not the book he also authored, "The Complete Book of Emigrants in Bondage, 1614-1775" in which those individuals listed were sentenced to the New Colony and other areas for the crimes they committed in England. I own both books if anyone needs a lookup from either.)
Pages 54 and 404 list Thomas DUNN; transcribed as written:
pg. 54
1625
James City [24 January]
Sir George Yeardley Kt., by Deliverance 1609; Temperance, Lady by Falcon 1608; their children born here: Mr. Argall Yeardley 4; Mr. Francis Yeardley 1; Mrs. Elizabeth Yeardley 6. Servants: Richard Gregory 40 by Temperance 1620; Anthony Jones 26 by Temperance 1620; Thomas Dunn 14 by Temperance 1620; Thomas Phildust 15 by Temperance 1620; Thomas Hatch 17 by Duty 1619; Robert Peake 22 by Margaret & John 1623; William Strange 18 by George 1619; Roger Thompson 40 by London Merchant and Ann his wife; Richard Arrundell by Abigail 1620; George Deverill 18 by Temperance 1620; Thomas Barnett 16 by Elizabeth 1620; Theophilus Beriston 23 by Treasurer 1614; 3 negro men & 5 negro women; Susan Hall by William & Thomas 1618; Ann Willis by Temperance 1620; Elizabeth Arrundell by Abigail 1620. The rest od his servants at Hog Island.

pg. 404
1658
22 December.
.. Henry Davis of Bristol, wire drawer, James Griffeth of Cardigan, Thomas Dunn of Chosen [sic], Glos, and Joseph Dunn of Chosen bound to Richard Allen, surgeon, to serve 4 years in Virginia.

Now being as this later dated Thomas DUNN does not list an age, we can assume he is at least 14 or older.
As most believe William and Thomas DUNN to be the sons of 1606 Thomas DUNN(E), we all have recognized that generation gap which is why we believe them to be his grandson's instead; the sons of John DUNN(E) I who married Obedience BURGESS.
IF using the later dated Thomas DUNN of Chosen, it is quite possible that William and Thomas DUNN were indeed his sons.

This sort of new discovery is EXACTLY why I have not shared the earlier 1606 Thomas DUNN(E) information. It just simply may not be factually our Thomas.

As for the source of information for Thomae DUNNE, (grin) I found it online at Ancestry.com [From the UK Records; BAPTISM: Yorkshire: Brandesburton - Parish Registers (Christenings, Marriages, Burials), 1558-1837, 1606 Baptisms] and again at the LDS familysearch.org site [FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0; British Isles]. Bill verified the LDS records at a FHC near his location.

Though both Bill Dunn and I have worked for many years on this particular Thomas DUNN(E) I don't believe either of us can say for a fact which Thomas is the correct one after all the misgivings that can be found on and off line today. For example, I find that in one of my books, pg. 104 of "The Georgians, Genealogies of Pioneer Settlers" by Jeannette Holland Austin, she states 1606 Thomas to have been a servant to Yeardley and that also was his son, Thomas DUNN. Further research I did on George YEARDLEY shows that he had been passed on for some 40 years prior to his birth so it is impossible for him to have been a servant of YEARDLEY. She also notes that the GRAY's were his servants and if so, that would have had to happened sometime between the list I transcribed above taken in 1625 and 1627, the year which YEARDLEY dies. So.. with Alice GRAY's own grandfather, William GRAY, Sr. not having been born until about 1622 in England (his father Thomas GRAY d. 1627 in England) an!
d her father William GRAY, Jr. born 1640/1650 in VA, I also find that information a bit sketchy.
That just goes to show that even written sources of information, bound and published in black and white, can be wrong and/or misleading.

So please, all I ask is this, PROVE this information BEFORE you attempt to etch it in stone. To say that any of this that I have just shared is 100% factual would be just genealogically unethical because it is NOT until ALL references have been verified and then still, I must double and even triple check all sources of information against one another. Had I not double-checked my sources source of information, I wouldn't have found the errors that I have so far.

Here is a full list of my research thus far on Thomas DUNN(E):

Note: 1606: Sources below MAY NOT BE our Thomas.
1. From the UK Records at Ancestry.com.
BAPTISM: Yorkshire: Brandesburton - Parish Registers (Christenings, Marriages, Burials), 1558-1837
1606 Baptisms
County: Yorkshire Country: England
24 Aug 1606 Thomas f Thomae Dunne

2. From IGI Records at FamilySearch.org.
FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0; British Isles.
THOMAS DUNNE
Sex: Male
Event(s): Christening: 24 AUG 1606, Brandesburton, Yorkshire, England
Parents: Father: THOMAE DUNNE
Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.
Source Information:
Batch No.: C107123
Dates: 1558-1837
Source Call No.: 942.74 K25PR V.142
Type: Book
Printout Call No.: 6910923
Type: Film
Sheet: 00
Note: Following the Dunne/Dunn links, the IGI record did provide Thomae Dunne's additional children.

3. Email: 10/21/2003: From Bill Dunn.
Kathy, I just got back from an LDS FHC and searched a microfilm that I had previously ordered. The film was # 0919450, Parish Register of Brandneburton Catwick, Yorkshire, England. The film was extremely hard to read and all in Latin. As best I could see it said, "1606 Aug 24 Thomas Dunn filius". If I remember my high school Latin, filius means son. Bill
- 1620: London, ENGLAND to VA: Thomas Dunn, at age 14 left London, England for the new colony on the vessel the Temperance, (this ship at one time was also known as the Sampson; not to be confused with the Sampson of the 1670s that carried Indians across the Atlantic). Reynerd Marmaduke was the ship master.
I can find no detailed logs regarding the trip, the vessel or it's ship master.
[Note: My best friend has her ancestor Capt. John WARD on the 'Sampson' coming to Virginia from England in 1619. The ship's name change to the Temperance must have happened shortly thereafter. This is evidence of the vessel having made at least 2 trips from England to Virginia.]
- - 11 Sept. 2003: Found date of departure and arrival of the Temperance from London, England to Virginia colony.
"sailed for the colony Jan 29 and arrived April 19 at Jamestown"..
Source: Posted By: Robert Mayer
Date: Thursday, 15 February 2001

*!* 1620 - From Bill Dunn to Kathy Roberson, date Sept. 2, 2003.
Kathy, While at a FHC, the attendant called SLC to find something on our Thomas. He received a call back from a someone in the office there, who confirmed that Thomas Dunn was indeed a Indentured servant to Sir George Yeardley in 1620 in Yorkshire. He also gave a Film # and a Fiche # that may give more information. He said there probably was a recorded indentured servant contract. He gave the name of a book in their Library in Salt Lake that might have more information, but it cannot be circulated.
I have an address and am sending a letter to someone listed in a book, to find a family society in Yorkshire. While there is no documented proof, the record does shows there was a connection in England. Will let you know what I find.
Bill *!*

- June 1620: Yeardley [Sir George Yeardley, Governor and Captain General of Virginia, 1619-1621] had written a letter back to England on June 7, 1620 so the Temperance arrived in VA shortly before.
[I believe the trips from England to the east coast took about 4 months according to most passenger lists I've seen that have shown departure and arrival dates.]
Ref: Thomas Jefferson Papers Series 8. Virginia Records Manuscripts. 1606-1737.
Susan Myra Kingsbury, editor. Records of the Virginia Company, 1606-26, Volume III: Miscellaneous Records

- 1623/1624: SOURCES:
1a. "The Original Lists OF PERSONS OF QUALITY"
[Regi]ster of the names of all ye Passinger wch Passed from ye Port of London for on whole yeare Endinge at Xpmas 1635.
THOMAS DUNN 14
"The Original Lists OF PERSONS OF QUALITY"
Lists of the Livinge and Dead in Virginia Febr: 16th 1623.[i.e. 162xxx]

1b. 5. "Virginia People - Muster of the inhabitants of Virginia settlements, February 16, 1623/4"
Source: "Hotten's Lists", page 172
Settlers living at "Flourdien Hundred" in Virginia, February 16, 1623/4
Dune, Thomas
**Note regarding Yearlly; he nor family are located at "Flourdien Hundred". This may be a site error as other references do list Yeardley there. Note that Yeardley sells the Hundred about 1624 or 1625.**

1c. "Hotten's Lists" - "The Original Lists of Persons of Quality; Emigrants; Religious Exiles; Political Rebels; Serving Men Sold for a Term of Years; Apprentices; Children Stolen; Maidens Pressed; and Others Who Went from Great Britain to the American Plantations 1600-1700."