DUR-NBL-L Archives

Archiver > DUR-NBL > 1999-03 > 0920387040

From: Tom Piercy <>
Subject: Hughes, Bolckow & Co, Blyth
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:04:00 +0000

I had a wooden chair, now passed on to my son, with a brass label on the
back inscribed "Made from Timber taken from H.M.S. Collingwood. Broken
up by Hughes, Bolckow & Co. Ltd, Battleship Wharf, Blyth,
Northumberland".

I had originally thought that this HMS Collingwood was the St Vincent
Class Dreadnought, launched 7 Nov 1908 and sold for breakup on 3 Mar
1922.

However I am told that she was sold to Cashmore, Newport for breakup and
arrived 3 March 1923. This inconsistency with the label on the chair
suggests with that:

1 My source is wrong, or

2 She was sold on from Cashmore to Hughes Bolckow; but it would have
been a long way round to deliver her from the South West to the North
East; or

3 She was not the same vessel, but an earlier one. She certainly wasn't
a later one; the present Collingwood is a shore establishment (where I
did my squarebashing and electronics course in the mid-50s).

Has any local list member with shipbuilding knowledge any ideas?
----------
Tom Piercy
Rothwell, Northants, UK.

Researching:
PIERCY, COLE, MILLS in Norfolk
RICHARDSON, YARKER, FALLOWFIELD, GREEN, LOWTHER, WINDER, HARRIS, NIC(H)OLSON in
Westmorland
ELLIDGE in Durham
PLUMTREE in Cambridgeshire
DALTON in London
HUNT, WINGRAVE in Bedfordshire,
OSMOND, HOOPER, POORE in Hampshire
BISHOPP, WARE, HILL in Kent
DORMER, GROSS, RICHARDS, LITTLE, HORNE, COLLINGWOOD, HEELAS, HUMPHREYS in
Bethnal Green

Norfolk FHS membership number 5349
Northamptonshire FHS membership number 2224

Visit us at http://www.tom-and-ann.demon.co.u

This thread: