DUTTON-L Archives

Archiver > DUTTON > 1999-09 > 0936554080

From: Dick Dutton <>
Subject: Re: OHIO DUTTONS
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 12:54:40 -0500

Hello Jack,

Welcome to the DUTTON List - and to the rewarding, but often frustrating, world of genealogy. In this case you may have hit the jackpot. You have provided just enough data for me to make a connection.

You descend from the Pennsylvania DUTTONs, started by John DUTTON (we call him PA John) & Mary Darlington in about 1682 when they bought 500 acres of land in Delaware Co. from William PENN and immigrated from England.

You are a fairly distant cousin of mine since I descend from MA John but you join an "infamous gang" of much closer cousins on this List who also descend from PA John. A few of the "ringleaders" include (but are not limited to):
Sheryl Ann Dutton Banks
Doug Hall
Carole Ann Dutton Malisiak
Phyllis Ryerse (from whom I originally got some of the data to make the connection to you)
Karen Davis Sowards (some of the data also obtained from Karen)
Robert Francis Dutton
William Curtis "Curt" Rowe

ARE ALL YOU "GUYS" PAYING ATTENTION?

Below you will find a 7 generation Ahnentafel Report that will take you all the way back to PA John.

Happy Hunting!

Dick Dutton

Researching my family tree!
Trunk: DUTTON

Major branches: ALLEN, BARTLETT, CUTLER, DOGGETT, DUNTEN,
DUNTON, JENSON, LAKE, METCALF, PALMER,
PARTRIDGE, REYNOLDS, RICHARDS, SAWYER, SMITH,
TRACY, TURNER, WARD, WEDGWOOD.

Minor branches: ADAMS, ALDEN, BALL, BLACK, BLANCHARD,
BREWSTER, BRIMHALL, CARY, COLBURN, HATCH,
HOPKINS, HYDE, KIDDER, PERKINS, WARNER,
WILLIAMS.

Smaller Limbs: ALGER, ANDERSON, CLARK, DAVIS, FRENCH,
FULLER, HALL, HARRIS, JOHNSON, KNAPP,
McMILLAN, MERRICK, MILLER, MOORE, NELSON
PARKER, TUTTLE - And many more.
nvet65 wrote:

> My ggrand father was Harry Albert Dutton. He was born in Macksburg Village; Washingto county Ohio on 03 July, 1883. He married Linnie Rhea DeLong who was from there also.
>
> His father was Joesph Albert Dutton (1853-1917) m. Sarah Anetta Ogle Oct. 12, 1872. One of my uncles told me that Joesph either help or designed a rig to drill oil wells with and that they had a write up about him in the Tulsa paper and something about him at the OIL EXPO here in Tulsa in the 50's. I only recently learned about this and haven't had a chance to check it out.
>
> Joesph father was William Raley Dutton (1830-1913).
>
> Only been doing genealogy for about 6 months and would appreciate any help on this line of Duttons I could get.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jack L Smith Jr ICQ # 23705196

First Generation
óóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóó

1 William Rayley DUTTON, 36131, M. Born on 10 Nov 1830 in Aurelius Twp., Washington Co., OH. William Rayley died in 1913; he was 82.

James' oldest son, William Rayley Dutton was born november 10, 1830 and married Mary Anne Gevrez on June 16. 1849. William lived on his father's old farm ..which remained in the family over one hundred years, until his death in 1913. Phyllis Ryerse <>

On 16 or 25 Jun 1849 when William Rayley was 18, he married Mary Anne GEVREZ, 36149, F.

They had the following children:
i. Rasselas Leroy, 36167, M (1855-1912)
ii. Hanson, 214753, M (1866-1936)
iii. Joseph Albert, 27626, M (1853-1917)

Second Generation
óóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóó

2 James DUTTON, 36104, M. Born on 23 Jul 1801 in Loudon, CO., VA. James died on 6 Jun 1886; he was 84. Buried in Mound Cemetery, Marietta, OH.

James is the eldest son. It goes on about James being known as a hunter ....studying rock formations and Seneca or rock oil that he found seeping from crevices in the ground. James ended up being called Ohio's Oil King. After the Civil War James moved to Marietta, OH. Phyllis Ryerse <>

On 5 Mar 1823 when James was 21, he married Barbara Ann RAYLEY, 36128, F, in Washington Co., OH.

They had one child:
1 i. William Rayley, 36131, M (1830-1913)

3 Barbara Ann RAYLEY, 36128, F. Buried in Mound Cemetery. Marietta, OH. Born in NY.

Phyllis Ryerse <>

Third Generation
óóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóó

4 Joseph DUTTON, 36008, M. Born in 1776 in Birmingham Twp., Chester, PA. Joseph died in Macksburg, Washington Co., OH on 1 Sep 1841; he was 65.

His son, Joseph, had five children (not listed). There's a bit of local history given here...about a hewed log house and wolves and panthers being troublesome. Phyllis Ryerse <>
Karen Davis Sowards<>

In 1795 when Joseph was 19, he married Amy Job CHILDRETH, 36022, F, in Loudon Co., VA.

They had the following children:
2 i. James, 36104, M (1801-1886)
ii. Sarah\Sallie, 35760, F (<1793-)
iii. David, 35833, M (<1797-)
iv. Mary ìPollyî, 35837, F (1798-1890)
v. Jane, 35857, F (~1800-)
vi. Elizabeth, 35869, F (~1805-)
vii. Susan, 35895, F (~1810-)

5 Amy Job CHILDRETH, 36022, F. Born in Oct 1769. Amy Job died in Macksburg, Washington Co., OH on 27 Mar 1860; she was 90.

Phyllis Ryerse <>
Karen Davis Sowards<>

Fourth Generation
óóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóó

8 James DUTTON, 71382, M. Born in 1743 in Chester Co., PA. James died in Aurelius or Fearing Twp., Washington Co., OH on 1 Mar 1839; he was 96.

James joined the Patriots against his families religious faith and fought in the battle of Brandywine. In 1786 the family moved to Loudon Co. VA where the oldest son Joseph was married to Amy Childreth. After his wifes death, James decided to move to the Ohio country. He arrived in Marietta on Christmas Day, 1806. He later moved up the creek to what is now Aurelius Twp. Phyllis
Ryerse <>

Mentioned in his fatherís will. "The Duttons of Pennsylvania" by Gilbert Cope, 1871.

http://pw1.netcom.com/~curtrowe/dutton.html#DUTTON, Joseph d 14 Jun 1773

Mary Ellen Kelchner <>

On 23 Sep 1775 when James was 32, he married Lydia Martha KIMLER, 35924, F, in Christís Church, Philadelphia, PA.

They had the following children:
4 i. Joseph, 36008, M (1776-1841)
ii. Polly, 35498, F
iii. John, 214754, M

9 Lydia Martha KIMLER, 35924, F. Lydia Martha died on 19 Jul 1800 in Loudon Co., VA.

Mary Ellen Kelchner <>

Fifth Generation
óóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóó

16 Joseph DUTTON, 26688, M. Born abt 1715. Joseph died on 14 Jun 1773; he was 58.

Joseph & Elizabeth lived in Birmingham Township. Phyllis Ryerse <>

Research: "The Duttons of Pennsylvania" by Gilbert Cope, 1871.
http://pw1.netcom.com/~curtrowe/dutton.html#DUTTON, Joseph d 14 Jun 1773

On 21 Oct 1742 when Joseph was 27, he married Elizabeth SMITH, 99938, F.1

They had the following children:
i. Mary, 71380, F
ii. Jacob, 71381, M (-1791)
8 iii. James, 71382, M (1743-1839)
iv. Susanna, 71383, F
v. Hannah, 71384, F
vi. Elizabeth, 71385, F
vii. Joseph, 71386, M (1763-1827)

17 Elizabeth SMITH, 99938, F. Elizabeth died bef 14 Jun 1773.1

"The Duttons of Pennsylvania" by Gilbert Cope, 1871.
http://pw1.netcom.com/~curtrowe/dutton.html#DUTTON, Joseph d 14 Jun 1773

Sixth Generation
óóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóó

32 John DUTTON III, 10124, M. Born on 29 Oct 1675 in Overton Twp., Cheshire, England. John died in Delaware Co., PA on 21 Mar 1735; he was 59.

Research: "The Duttons of Pennsylvania" by Gilbert Cope, 1871.
http://pw1.netcom.com/~curtrowe/dutton.html#DUTTON, Kingsman b ca. 1711

On 11 Oct 1704 when John was 28, he married Elizabth Simcock KINGSMAN, 10110, F, in Concord meeting, Chester, PA.

They had the following children:
i. John1, 9875, M (~1705-)
ii. Hannah1, 9876, F (~1702-1782)
iii. Mary1, 24510, F (~1709-)
iv. Kingsman1, 26148, M (~1711-1765)
v. Jacob, 26206, M (~1713-<1749)
16 vi. Joseph, 26688, M (~1715-1773)
vii. Robert, 27009, M (<1719-)
viii. James1, 27252, M (~1724-1769)
ix. Isaac, 27253, M (~1721-1760)
x. Amy1, 27254, F (~1723-<1748)

33 Elizabth Simcock KINGSMAN, 10110, F. Born on 6 Sep 1685 in of Chester, PA. Elizabth Simcock died in Living 1745; she was 59.

Research: "The Duttons of Pennsylvania" by Gilbert Cope, 1871.
http://pw1.netcom.com/~curtrowe/dutton.html#DUTTON, Kingsman b ca. 1711

34 Thomas SMITH, 71379, M. Born in of Birmingham township.

"The Duttons of Pennsylvania" by Gilbert Cope, 1871.
http://pw1.netcom.com/~curtrowe/dutton.html#DUTTON, Joseph d 14 Jun 1773

Thomas married Elinor?1, 215493, F.

They had one child:
17 i. Elizabeth, 99938, F (-<1773)

35 Elinor?1, 215493, F.

Seventh Generation
óóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóó

64 John DUTTON Jr.1, 10120, M. Born on 30 Nov 1648 in Overton Twp., Cheshire, England. John died in Ashton Twp, Delaware Co., PA. on 4 May 1693; he was 44.

John Dutton, a Quaker, suffering religious persecutions, came from Cheshire County, England to Pensylvania. He was evidently in good circumstances, for before leaving England, he purchased about 500 acres of land which William Penn was then offering for sale. He brought with him his wife, Mary, and five children and in the same year they settled in Delaware County, where his
block of land was situated. The children were: John, Edward, Thomas, Robert , and Elizabeth - the last named dying soon after the family arrived.
In 1682, John Dutton with his wife (Mary Darlington) and
four(five) children came to America and settled on a 500 acre tract in Ashton Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania which was adjacent to Philadelphia County. This line, which became known as the Duttons of Pennsylvania, is the one that is documented here.

John came to America in1682. The Surveyor General directed the following order to his deputy in Chester County:
"By order and Directions from the Governor for setting out Lands to the Purchasers in Pensilvania, &c; I hereby Authorize thee to survey or lay out to Tho: Rowlands' assign four handred and eighty acres on the western side of Upland Creek, next to Nathanield Evans; and next lay out to John Warel two hundred and forty acres; and next lay out to John Neild two hundred and forty
acres; and next John Edge, one hundred and twenty; and return to me true Duplicate of the ffield work and Protrracted ffigures which are to remain in my office." (Dated the 10th of ye 7 mo.,1682)

The following return was made:
"October the 8th 1682. Laid out for John Dutton 500 of Land on the west side of Upland creek, beginning at Nathaniel Evans' corner tree," &c.

Research: "The Duttons of Pennsylvania" by Gilbert Cope, 1871.
http://pw1.netcom.com/~curtrowe/dutton.html#DUTTON, Kingsman b ca. 1711

abt 1674 when John was 25, he married Mary DARLINGTON2,1, 10121, F, in Marbury, England.

They had the following children:
32 i. John, 10124, M (1675-1735)
ii. Edward1, 10123, M (1677->1731)
iii. Thomas1, 10122, M (1679-1731)
iv. Elizabeth, 10126, F (1681-1682)
v. Robert1, 10127, M (1683-<1736)

65 Mary DARLINGTON2,1, 10121, F. Born in 1650/1653 in Cheshire, England. Mary died in Aston, Chester, PA. in 1717; she was 67.

Mary had a brother Job who died 1731 Whitegate, Cheshire, England. Job married Mary___ and had at least 2 sons, both of whom emmigrated to PA by 1711
Bill Blackburn <>

Research: "The Duttons of Pennsylvania" by Gilbert Cope, 1871.
http://pw1.netcom.com/~curtrowe/dutton.html#DUTTON, Kingsman b ca. 1711

66 John KINGSMAN1, 215464, M. John died abt 1721.

John married Hannah SIMCOCK1, 215465, F.

They had one child:
33 i. Elizabth Simcock, 10110, F (1685-1745)

67 Hannah SIMCOCK1, 215465, F.

Sources

1. Gilbert Cope, ìGenealogy of the DUTTON Family of Pennsylvania,î F.S. Hiickman, Printer, West Chester, PA, 1871, Higginson Genealogical Books, Salem, MA, 1997.
2. William John Blackburn III
1612 North Old Stage Rd.
Mt Shasta, CA 96067

óóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóóó
Please send any corrections or additions to:
Richard A. Dutton - 325 Beal Parkway,
Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548-3956
Phone: 850-862-3327
FAX: 850-864-1444 E-mail: