DUTTON-L Archives

Archiver > DUTTON > 2003-07 > 1058373091

From: Carole Malisiak <>
Subject: [DUTTON] German Duttons
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:39:16 -0400

A search at the LDS website indicates that there are quite a few Germans
named Dutton. Since our DNA project shows that the several Duttons tested
are not related, I decided to widen my searches. Now, are the German
Duttons related to the English Duttons? My guess is that they are not
related, but our study, thus far, is extremely small and we have not yet
established Haplogroups that would represent our several lines.

Here is a link that details the early German contribution to the USA.
Surprising to me was that early in Pennsylvania:

³There was even some talk after the War of Independence about whether
English or German should be the national language! In the mid-1700s,
Benjamin Franklin grumbled about Philadelphia's bilingual street signs and
complained that the Pennsylvania parliament would soon need German-English
interpreters...²

http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au/la/lote/german/mckinnon/earlyger-usa.htm

Carole

This thread: