DUTTON-L Archives

Archiver > DUTTON > 2003-07 > 1059619664

From: Lynn Murray <>
Subject: Re: [DUTTON] Parents of Albert and Mattie Dutton
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:47:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Charlotte,
I can't answer your Dutton questions but I did find this on the uky.edu website:

"Originally part of Virginia, the land that is now Kentucky was formed into Kentucky county, Virginia in 1776. Four years later it was divided into the Fayette, Jefferson, and Lincoln counties of Virginia. It became the fifteenth of the United States in 1792."

And just as a matter of interest, I found this, too. From encarta.msn.com:

"West Virginia entered the Union on June 20, 1863, as the 35th state. It was part of Virginia until the American Civil War (1861-1865), when its inhabitants, loyal to the Union, formed a separate state after Virginia became part of the Confederacy. Charleston is West Virginias capital and largest city."

Happy Hunting!
Lynn

Charlotte Manuel <> wrote:
Mattie Dutton b. May 1873 in TN
Albert Dutton b. May 1878 in TN.

Mattie listed on Pemiscot Co.,MO 1900 census list her parents birth place as Virginia. She has had children in AR, TN, and MO. Married William Pinkerton in AR in 1888.

ALbert , on the 1900 Dunklin Co.,MO census list his parents born in W. Virginia
on 1910 McCurtain Co., OK census he listed them both born in KY. HE had a child 4 children before 1900, none of which were living. Had a dau. in June 1903 in MO then wife died. On the OK census he had been married 4 years to second wife.
Married first wife, Minnie Bryant, in Lake CO.,TN in Jan 1895.

Was not KY at one time part of W Virginia/Virginia? I don't know the dates for that , but seems like it would have been before the 1870's.

Lynn Murray
**Proud mom of a US soldier.**