DUVALL-L ArchivesArchiver > DUVALL > 1998-05 > 0896004038
From: "Helen S. Durbin" <>
Subject: Duvalls of Anne Arundel Co. Md.
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 10:00:38 +0000
Some more info on the Duvalls, which shows how they moved around.
Hope they help, as there will be more to follow.
Helen in Pa.
>From the Book Founders of Anne Arundel and Howard Counties, Maryland, pp
No more striking figure in colonial history is found that the
personal achievements of thie fleeing immigrant from Nantes, about 1650.
He came as one of the one hundred and fifty adventurers, brought over
by Colonel William Burgess. He settled near Colonel Burgess in Anne
Arundel County, on the south side of the South River and became one of
the most successful merchants and planters of that favored section.
When political influences were most active during the revolution of
1689, Mareen Duvall was among the leaders who sustained the Lord
Proprietary. His name is found in Colonel Greenberry's letter to
Governor Copley, as one of the Jacobin party, whose mysterious meeting
he could not solve.
The land records of Anne Arundel and Prince Goerge Counties show that
this Huguenot planter and merchant hald a vast extate, and left his
widow and third wife so attractive as to become the third wife of
Colonel Henry Ridgely, and later the wife of Rev. Mr. Henderson, the
commissary of the Church of England. Together they built old Trinity, or
Forest Chapel, near Collington, in Prince George County.
The will of Mareen Duvall is an intelligent one. It was probated, in
1694; about the time of the removal of the Capitol from St. Mary's to
It is not known who were his first wives. One of them was closely
allied to the celebrated John Larkin, a neighbor and enduring friend of
Mareen Duvall. Five of his twelve children were married during the
lifetime of the Huguenot. "Mareen, the Elder," also called by his
mother-in-law, "Marius," married Frances Stockett, daughter of Thomas.
He was the ancestor of John P. Duvall, a nember of the Virginia
Captain John Duvall, who held another large estate, married Elizabeth
Jones, daughter of William Jones, Sr. of Anne Arundel County. She added
considerably to his estate. Their daughter, Elizabeth, became the wife
of Benjamin Wardield, the youngest son of Richard, the immigrant. Her
wedding gift was 780 acres of "Lugg Ox," in the forks of the Patuxent.
Her sister, Comfort, became Mrs. William Griffith, of Frederick County.
Eleanor Duvall, of Mareen, became Mrs. John Roberts, of Virginia.
Samuel Duvall married Elizabeth Clarke, in 1687; Susannah became Mrs.
Robert Tyler, and was the ancestress of General Bradley T. Johnson;
Lewis Duvall married Martha Ridgely, only daughter of Hon. Robert
Ridgely, of St. Inigoes, in 1699.
"Mareen the Elder," and "Mareen the Younger" are both named by the
Huguenot testator of 1694. The latter seemed to be his favorite. He
married Elizabeth Jacob, daughter of Captain John Jacob. His sister,
Catherine, married William Orrick, in 1700. And his sister, Mary, in
1701, became the wife of Rev. Henry Hall, the English Rector of St.
The Huguenot names his daughter, Elizabeth Roberts, and daughter
Johanna, who became, in 1703, Mrs. Richard Poole. Benjamin Duvall, of
the Huguenot, married Sarah Griffith, in 1713, daughter of William and
Sarah (Maccubbin) Griffith. These were the ancestors of Judge Gabriel
Duvall, of the Supreme Court of the United States. Benjamin and
Ssophia's issue were, Susanna-Samuel Tyler; Sophia-Thos. Butt;
Benjamin-Susanna Tyler. Issue, Gabriel, (Judge of the United States
Supreme Court), who was twice married, first to Miss Bryce, daughter of
Captain Robert, of Annapolis; second to Miss Jane Gibbon, of
Edward Duvall and Isaac Duvall, brothers of Judge Gabriel, were
lieutenants in the Revolutionary War, and remained bachelors. Isaac
Duvall, of Benjamin and Jemima Taylor, married Miss Harding, of
Montgomery County, and removed to West Virginia about 1812. He owned an
extensive glass factory at Charlestown, afterwards Wellsburg, on the
Ohio. He left three sons, among whom was General Isaac Harding Duvall,
and four daughters. From Julia A. descends Mrs. Anne O. Jackson, of
Parkersburg, W.Va., and her sister Mrs. List, of Wheeling. From William,
brother of Isaac, by his wife, Harriet Doodridge, comes Mrs. Kate Rector
Thibaut, of Washington, D.C.
Mareen Duvall, "The Younger," by Elizabeth Jacob, had Mareen in
1702,--Ruth Howard; Susannah-first, Mr. Fowler, and second Mark Brown.
Elizabeth-Dr. William Denune; Samuel-Elizabeth Mullikin; Benjamin-Miss
Wells; John-Miss Fowler; Jacob-Miss Bourne, of Calvert. Samuel and
Elizabeth (Mullikin) Duvall, daughter of James Mullikin, son of the
immigrant, had James-Sarah Duvall, of Mareen and Ruth (Howard) Duvall,
and Samuel, in 1740,-Mary Higgins. From Barton Duvall, of Samuel and
Mary, who married Hannah Isaac, daughter of Richard and Ann (Williams)
Isaac, came Richard Isaacs Duvall, Dr. Philip Barton Duvall and Dr.
Joseph Isaac Duvall.
Richard Isaac Duvall-first, Sarah Ann Duvall, of Tobias, and had
James M. Duvall, of Baltimore, Philip Barton Duvall, who read medicine
with Dr. Samuel Chew, of Baltimore, and graduated, in 1860, at the
University of Maryland, and went south in 1861, and joined the
Confederate State's Army and was killed at the battle of
Chancellorsville, Va. Samuel F. Duvall, of the Confederate Army, several
times wounded; Daniel C. Duvall, and Sallie, and several other children
who died in infancy. Richard Isaac Duvall-second, Rachel M. Waring, of
Francis and Elizabeth (Turner) Waring, and had Richard Mareen and Marius
Turner Duvall, twins, born 1856.
Richard M. Duvall, a member of the Baltimore Bar, married, 1895,
Julia Anna Webster Goldsborough, daughter of Dr. John Schley and Julia
Anna Webster (Strider) Goldsborough, of Frederick, Md.
Samuel and Elizabeth (Mullikin) Duvall had a son, Isaac, who was
twice married. One of his sons, was Basil Mullikin Duvall, who married,
Delilah Duvall, of Philemon, of Montgomery, and had issue, Agrippa, of
Kentucky-Miss Smith, of Kentucky, Mary A.-Thos. J. Betts, of Baltimore;
Miss Margery Duvall, Van Buren Duvall, Kate-George Ellicott, of the
family who founded Ellicott City.
The homestead of Mr. Basil Mullikin Duvall, now held by Mrs.
Ellicott, is immediately upon the Cattail, of the Patuzent, in upper
The last wife and widow of the Huguenot was Miss Mary Stanton. Before
1700, she became the wife of Col. Henry Ridgely, the immigrant, and with
him, closed the administration of the estate of the Huguenot. The
younger Mareen objected to his guardian, Col. Ridgely, but the courts
did not sustain him. After the death of Col. Ridgely, in 1710, Mrs. Mary
Ridgely bought a tract of land from Wm. Ridgely, Sr. and Jr., brother
and nephew of her late husband. Mrs. Mary Ridgely next appears as the
wife of Rev. Jacob Henderson, the English rector sent over to visit the
churches of the province. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson left an enduring
monument to their memory by the erection, in 1735, of Holy Trinity
Chapel. Having endowed the same, they left it as a memorial to the
public, and by act of the General Assembly, it was converted into a
"Chapel of Ease." there is a marble slab in the vestibule, stating the
fact of its erection at the cost of Mr. and Mrs. Henderson. There are
also a number of memorial windows erected in it to the Duvalls,
Mullikins, Bowies and others.
The will of Mrs. Henderson, at Upper Marlborough, shows that she had
a brother in Philadelphia, and that her maiden name was Mary Stanton.
She was an intelligent and attractive lady. It is not certain that she
left any children by any of her three husbands.
|Duvalls of Anne Arundel Co. Md. by "Helen S. Durbin" <>|