DYFED-L Archives

Archiver > DYFED > 1998-05 > 0894659648

From: Simon Carter <>
Subject: Re: Marquis of Cardigan?
Date: Fri, 08 May 98 21:34:08 +0100 ( + )

Hi Sue,

You wrote:
>Has anyone ever heard the Marquis of Cardigan? I have him in my husband's ancestry.
>His daughter Jennet married Griffith Jones. They had a son, Robert Jones b. 3-20-1743
>d. 4-15-1809 married to Jane Bolton b. 7-6-1744 d. 7-26-1826. They had a daughter,
>Rachel Jones b. 1785 d. 3-20-1867 married in 1803 to Lewis Evans b. 7-29-1783 d. 4-28-1858
>(His parents were Jeremiah Evans b. 1749 in Wales d. 5-14-1826 and Mary Evans (daughter
>of Abner Evans and Sarah Thomas)b. 1752 in Wales d. 1815, Jeremiah was the son of Lewis
>Evans b. in Wales and Mary Evans)

A Marquess is normally a title given to the elder son of a Duke, however there are Marquessates is their own right (e.g.
Marquess of Quenesberry - of Rules fame). But there is no Marquessate of Cardigan, only an Earl of Cardigan (as in
the Charge of the Light Brigade). Their family name was BRUDENELL.
All well and good, but not I suspect anything to do with your lot. Burke does not mention any Jennet, I'm sorry.

Could this be a good story? Or a nick-name, even. I must admit my first reaction was that it was the name of a
ship! Cardigan was a major shipping port in the 18th/19th century.

Sorry.
Simon Carter
Researching: WADE, Fishguard & Cardigan and lots of others who were all called WILLIAMS and came from Verwick & Cardigan, sigh!

This thread: