DYFED-L Archives

Archiver > DYFED > 2001-04 > 0986403857

From: Gerry <>
Subject: [Dyfed] Berry family of Camrose and later Merthyr Tydfil
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:03:42 +0000

Hi Listers

Today's "Times" of London has an obituary of Lord Hartwell (formerly Michael
Berry), a life peer.

extract: "The Berry family's was a remarkable history of entrepeneurialism.
Born into a modest home in Merthyr Tydfil, Bill Berry [William Ewart Berry,
Michael's father] the future Lord Cmrose, came to London to start at the
bottom of periodical journalism. By the 1920s he and his brother [John]
Gomer Berry (who became Lord Kelmsley) had built up an empire of magazines
and regional and national newspapers."

Bits inside [] indicate my additions.

There was actually another brother - Henry Seymour Berry who became Baron
Buckland. The three were sons of John Mathias Berry (born 2 May 1847) and
Mary Anne Rowe, who married 24 May 1870.

John Berry was the son of J(ohn?) Berry and Rebecca Mathias, who married 14
Nov 1846.

Rebecca (born 1816) was a daughter of Henry Mathias, farmer, of Wolfsdale in
the parish of Camrose.

If anyone is interested in the families called Mathias from Camrose, I have
some information. I am descended from Philip Mathias, another farmer, of
Camrose.

Gerry Lewis

This thread: