DYFED-L Archives

Archiver > DYFED > 2009-03 > 1235989474

From: Jennifer Cairns <>
Subject: Re: [Dyfed] What is a "gale child?"
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 02:24:34 -0800 (PST)

Dear List and posters

I found this word very puzzling.

My only suggestion - I have found a reference to the girls name GALE as being derived from "the Irish" word for "stranger" (ie similar root to the original meaning of Welsh/Wales").  As the couple cited were presenting themselves as a couple I wonder if the child had been "adopted" i.e. taken into the family having  been born illegitimate  ie "out of wedlock" and not being the natural child of either of the couple and in this sense "strange" to the family.

Regards

Jen