DanvilleCrossing-L Archives

Archiver > DanvilleCrossing > 2000-08 > 0965696523

From: "Penny Wilson" <>
Subject: [DC] Craig's of Stewart, Humphreys, and Benton County TN
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 20:02:03 -0500

I have been researching my Craig family from the Danville Crossing area. Does anyone know anything about a Thomas Craig (my gr gr grandfather) born 1806 in TN who was living in Benton County in 1850 (on census there) with second wife Sarah Allen?

1850 Benton County TN census info:

Thomas Craig age 44 TN occupation: miller
Sarah (Allen) age 37 NC
Martha age 11 TN
Mary Elizabeth age 9 TN states she attended school
both of these two daughters were by his 1st wife (unknown)
Angeline age 6 TN
Charlotte age 1 TN
Susan Craig age 21 TN (it was listed like this on the census and I think she may be a relative & not a daughter)

Also on line 12 of the census are marks for Sarah Allen Craig and Susan Craig but I can't make out what it means at the top of the census page. Can someone tell me what it says if they have a copy of the Benton County census (line 12). It look like it starts with a "p".
He died in 1854 in Benton County TN and his wife was in another household on the 1860 census listed as in the poorhouse but none of the chldren were with her. Does anyone know of any epidemics that came thru the area in 1854 that might have killed Thomas and the 2 younger children?
Also in the same area were a Eli Green Craig and a Charles Freeman Craig and over in Caroll County close to them across the county line was Asa Craig and he went back to Illinois in 1860, he was in IL in 1840 (after the 1860 TN census) and died there in December of 1860 and is buried in the Craig cemetery in Fayette County IL.
>From an unproven source it is stated that Thomas, Eli, Charles and Asa were all brothers and their father was a James Craig who married Susannah Cottingim (Cottingham?) in 1804 in Stewart County TN. They never provided any proof to me of this.
Does anyone have any information on this family? Any help such as migration patterns of families as the Civil War started or anything about Mills where he might have worked would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much... Penny Wilson

This thread: