Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 1998-10 > 0907451221

From: David Henry <>
Subject: Pompton Plains
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 21:47:01 +0000

I am a Vreeland descendant, and my ancestors lived in Pompton Plains
area. The word Pompton has been used for a variety of names in this
area, including but not limited to:
Pompton Lakes 2/26/1895
Pompton Plains
Pompton Township 4/10/1797 (no longer in use)

The Pompton Plains Dutch Reformed Church, which is where alot of the
Vreelands were associated, is located in the northeastern most corner of
Morris County, at the juncture of the Pecquanonk River and the Passaic
River. It is a very early settlement, and much has been written about
the area and the first settlers. Reverand Garret Schenk did a piece on
the history of the early settlers and their descendants, that can be
ordered from Family History Libraries (the L.D.S. Church) on microfilm.
North of Pompton Plains is Passaic County. Prior to 1838 I believe, the
area north of the Pequanonk River was a part of Bergen County, and
Paterson (which is in Passaic County) was actually in Essex County.
Passaic County was formed from these two counties, but prior to the
formation of Passaic, the area from the current Bergen County line,
West to the Sussex County line, north of the Pecquanok River was
Pompton Township, Bergen County. Prior to the formation of Pompton
Township(1797), Bergen County, it was Saddle River Township, Bergen
County, which confuses people today because now when people think of
Saddle River, they think of some tiny little area in the Eastern part of
northern NJ in Bergen County. West Milford Township was created and
separated from Pompton Township, I **THINK** 3/10/1834 and stretches
from the Sussex County line on its West side, to the Borough of
Bloomingdale and Wanaque on its Eastern border.

The Vreelands were early settlers (actually the FIRST settlers) of
present day Paterson NJ. They resided in Essex County, and can be found
in the records of Bergen (Jersey City), Hackensack, Belleville (Second
River?) and Newark. The Vreelands also settled the area known as
Macopin, having purchased this land in the mid 1750's, settling there
and having numerous descendants in that area. Macopin is located in
West Milford Township, and is not a boro or village, its just a
Community. My Vreelands come from Abraham Vreeland (son of Abraham
Vreeland and Margaret Van Winkle) and Aeghie Van Zile, who apparently
lived near Pompton Plains. There is much written of this
family...tracing it should not be too difficult! David

This thread: