Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 1998-11 > 0911789989

From: <>
Subject: Re: NY Wills: Thomas Stillwell Sr and Martha De Bonrepos.
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 21:59:49 EST

Nancy here are the wills of Thomas Stillwell Sr and his wife:
Abstracts of Wills Vol II 1708-1728, New York Wills, page 1:
Page 484.--Edward, Viscount Cornbury, Captain-General and Governor, etc.
Whereas THOMAS STILLWELL, Sr., lately died intestate, Letters of
administration are granted to his wife Mary, April 10, 1708.

Abstracts of New York Wills Vol I 1665-1707, page 404:
Page 240. -- THOMAS STILLWELL. In the name of God, Amen. I, Thomas Stillwell,
of Staten Island, Esq., being sick and weak. I leave to Nicholas Stillwell,
son of my son, Thomas Stillwell, deceased, all that Plantation or farm,
commonly called Wallbours' farm, lying on the east side of the Old Town, and
also one half of the meadow belonging to it; that is to say, that part of the
meadow that lies next to the ditch. And the said Nicholas is to pay to his two
sisters, Mary and Anne Stillwell, œ50 each, when they come to the age of
eighteen. And he is to pay to Martha Brittan, daughter of Benjamin Brittan,
œ--. If he die under age, then the land is to go to his sisters Mary and Anne,
and they are to pay to Martha Brittan œ100. I leave to my daughter Frances,
wife of Nicholas Brittan, 60 acres of land joining to the land I now live on,
as it is now in his possession, during her life, and then to her son Nicholas
Brittan, and he is to pay to his sister, Mary Brittan, œ25. I leave to my
daughters, Anne and Rachel Stillwell, the messuage and tenement with all the
housing and buildings and all the lot, and three quarters of a lot of land,
with a lot of salt meadow at the Great Kill, marked No. 2, which is the land I
now live upon, after my wife's decease, and they are to pay to my daughter,
Frances Brittan, œ50. I leave to my wife Martha, the use of all the estate I
now live upon, for life, or during her widowhood, and make her sole executor,
and my loving friends, John Stillwell and Abraham Taylor, Esq., and Richard
Stillwell, Sr., overseers.

Dated May 21, 1704. Witnesses, Nathaniel Whitman, Ellis Dusebury, Alex.
Stuart. Proved before Thomas Wenham, Esq., being duly authorized by Lord
Cornbury, May 9, 1705.

 Abstracts of New York Wills Vol III 1730-1744, page 213:
Page 29.--Know all men whom it may any ways concerne, that I, MARTHA DE
BONREPOS, of Staten Island, widow, being very sick. All my estate is to be
sold by my executors, except two beds, two brass kettles, a negro girl and an
old negro wench. I leave to my daughter Rachel, my negro wench, and large
brass kettle, and I leave to her daughter Martha, my negro girl, and to her
daughter Mary my best bed and brass kettle. I leave to my son-in-law, Jacobus
Billve, all that he owes me, and a silver cup of œ5 value. And a cup of same
value, to my children, Martha Brittain, William Brittain, and to Nicholas
Brittain's daughter Martha, and to Jacobus Billvee's daughter Martha, and to
Peter Le Count's daughter Martha. All the rest of my estate to my children
Francis Brittain, Annie Billve, Rachel Brittain, and to Thomas Stillwell's
three children, Nicholas, Jane, Musho (?), and to Mary Hoffer's two eldest
daughters, Mary Jurne and Elizabeth Jurne. I make John Le Count and Richard
Stillwell executors.

March 3, 173 4/5. Witnesses, William Richman, Sarah Ramah, Ebenezer Salter.
Proved, October 23, 1736.

This thread: