Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 1999-04 > 0924569413

From: "Paul Miller" <>
Subject: Re: Jewish ROOSAs
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:50:13 -0400

Here is a copy of my correspondence with one of the proponents of the
Jewish Roosa theory:
Jim Miller

Hi, Jim. The only "confirmation" I have that the ROOSAs (pronounced "Rosa"
in Dutch) were Jewish is John Hope's quote of Bert Feldman's article, in
which the ROOSAs are called a "rabbinical family". I tried to check Bert's
sources, but found, to my dismay, that he died this past February at the
age
of 78.

Long before seeing the Feldman article, I suspected that both Heyman ROOSA
(ABT 1590-) and his wife, Metje DE ROOS were Jewish. I'm attaching a
webpage on Jewish names. Here's an excerpt from it about the name
"Heyman":

"My 5g-gf Jekutiel ben Chaim was called "Kauffmann Heimann" in German
records. Both of these names are individual names ("first names"):
"Kauffmann" is his own (a *kinnui* or secular equivalent of his
Hebrew name "Jekutiel") and "Heimann" is his father's (a *kinnui*
of "Chaim"). Sometimes he was also called "Kauffmann Praeger", where
"Praeger" is an epithet meaning 'the one from Prague'."

"Arie" is also a common Jewish line (from the Hebrew for "lion", symbolic
of
the tribe of Judah), and the site
http://www.sephardim.com/index.html#names2
<http://www.sephardim.com/index.html#names2>;
shows that "ROSA" and "DA ROSA" are common Sephardic (i.e. Spanish and
Portugese) Jewish names.

In 1492, the king of Spain expelled all Jews from that country, and the
king
of Portugal did the same a few years later. Many Jews escaped expulsion by
being baptized, and continued to secretly carry out the tenets of Judaism
in
private. Jewish converts to Christianity were relentlessly spied upon by
the Inquisition, which tortured and burned to death those who were found to
be "impure" in their Christianity. Many conversos made their way to
Belgium
and the Netherlands during the 1500's, a place to which many of their
"unconverted" brethren had apparently (according to Feldman) fled earlier.
The John Hope posting notes that the ROOSA name first appeared in the
Netherlands in the 1400's, so this lends support that the ROOSAs were
"rabbinical" (and therefore openly practicing) Jews of the earlier
migration, rather than "conversos" ("converted" Jews).

The "Judaic" (Talmudic) religion is passed on through the mother, rather
than the father, so when Albert HEYMANS (Heyman's son), the first American
ROOSA, married Wyntje DE JONGH, the family probably ceased to be
"practicing" Jews. Wyntje was the daughter of a Dutch burgomeister, and
therefore was most likely a Gentile. Because of Albert's parentage,
though,
we can claim to be descended from one of the first Jews (possibly THE first
Jew) in New York. Albert was one of the first leaders of the Wiltwyck
settlement, and along with his son Arien ( = Arie, "the Lion" or "the Jew")
was among those petitioning Governor Andros to provide the community with a
Dutch-speaking minister. Remember that the Dutch Reformed Church in New
York served as an extended family "community center" for everyone in the
Dutch community, so this action of the ROOSAs may have been more motivated
by community concern than by religious convictions. His daughter Wynte,
though, married into the DePuy family, descended from devout Huguenots. My
own line (I also have three lines to Albert ROOSA) comes through the DePuys
and can be found at http://www.pacwest.net/bigshoe/shoegen.html
<http://www.pacwest.net/bigshoe/shoegen.html>;

I hope this helped. Keep in touch

-- Michael A. Shoemaker :-)