Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 1999-06 > 0929899814

From: =cc=Dorothy Koenig <>
Subject: Re: Dutch name Neeltje
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:30:14 -0700 (PDT)

Norm, CHeryl is right when she says that "Neeltje" is the diminutive form
for "Cornelia". The Dutch have a habit of forming nicknames from the last
syllable of a given name rather than the first, e.g. "Grietje" is the
diminutive form of "Margarieta"; "Tys" is the nickname for "Mattys"
(Matthew or Mathias). Sometimes the patronymic is formed from the
nickname, e.g. some of the children of Mattys Janszen Lanen Van Pelt went
by the patronymic of "Tyssen".

The pronunciation of "tje" is "-cha" (the "a" sounds like the final "a" of
the word "sofa"). So "Neeltje" is pronounced "NEEL-cha". Dorothy