Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 1999-10 > 0939590414

From: <>
Subject: Metje DeVoor (d/o Jannetje Frans)
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 17:20:14 EDT

Dear Lorine, Pat, Dorothy and others:

Good news -- I found Metje's marriage record. On July 19, 1708 in New
York, NY, Metje DeVour married Cornelis Jansen. Does anyone have information
on Metje's descendants? I can't seem to find any children of Cornelis and
Metje... perhaps because Cornelis used a different last name.
Be warned, however, there were two different Cornelis Jansen who married
two different Metje's in New York City. A Cornelis Janszen married Metje
Bastiaenszen on 8 Nov 1665 in NYC. They are NOT the same as Cornelis Jansen
who married Metje DeVoor. But the funny thing is.. Cornelis Janszen and Metje
Bastiaenszen were witnesses for Metje DeVoor's christening!
Metje was baptized on 21 Sep 1687 in New York City, the daughter of
Daniel DeVeaux (DeVoor) and Jannetje Frans. Daniel and Jannetje were married
on 22 Apr 1686 in Hackensack, Bergen, NJ. Jannetje was previously married to
Cornelis Adriaenszen (Smidt/Smit/Smith) on 8 Aug 1680 in Stuyvesant's Bowery,
Manhattan Island, New York. Their children were Adriaen, Cornelis and
Dirckje. Jannetje's name was also spelled Hannah, Hanna, Anna, Jannette, and
Jannettie! (whew). Daniel DeVoor/DeVeaux was a son of Nicholas DeVeaux and
Susanne Francois. Unfortunately, I am still unable to locate Jannetje Frans'
parentage but I wonder if Jannetje was related to Daniel because Daniel's
mother was Susanne Francois (also spelled Frans). Could Jannetje be a niece
of Susanne?
I do not think that Jannetje was a daughter of Frans Franszen and
Jannetje Gerrits. Frans Franszen and Jannetje Gerrits had a daughter,
Jannetje, who was baptized 9 Apr 1656 in New Amsterdam but further research
shows that this daughter married Willem Boyll on 26 Sept 1675 in New York, NY.
Any speculations, corrections and comments are most welcome.

Thanks,
Jason Coffman

This thread: