Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2001-07 > 0994945252

Subject: [D-Col] Jonathan Ogden, abstract Will of
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:40:52 EDT

I was wondering if his wife was Willemtie Tibout Tiebout, daughter of Pieter
Tibout and Margarita Ryersen.
Wayne

Abstracts of Wills Vol IV 1744-1753, pages 420 & 421:
Page 229.--In the name of God, Amen, I, JONATHAN OGDEN, of New York,
innholder, being at present sick. I leave to my son Joshua œ20, in full bar
to all claim as heir-at-law. I leave to my son Albert my saw mill in the
Middle Patent. I leave to my wife Willmont 1/3 of the rest of my estate and
my negro wench "luce," and she is to have the use of the other 2/3 during
widowhood for the better support, education, and bringing up of my children
till of age. After her decease all is to go to my children, except my eldest
daughter, Freelove, who has already received her portion. (Names of some
children not given.) My wife and executors have power to sell all property. I
make my wife Willmont, and my loving friends, John Tiebout and Daniel Purdy,
executors.

Dated October 11, 1750. Witnesses, Robert Benson, John Thomas, Anthony
Rutgers. Proved, February 16, 1753.

[NOTE.--The inn or tavern of Jonathan Ogden was on the north side of Pearl
street, next east of where the Harpers', Publishers, building now stands.
This was where the eastern stages "put up" over night. The lot was afterward
the home of Lindley Murray, the famous grammarian.--W. S. P.]

This thread: