Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2002-03 > 1016075469

From: "Perry Streeter" <>
Subject: [D-Col] RE: BARBER Edward m. Marike TIJS; NYC; 1714
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:11:09 -0500

Dorothy:

As always, thank you for a most helpful response! I have already updated my
documentation and found additional leads on the Edward BARBERs in Somerset &
Hunterdon Counties, NJ...

In the New York RDC records, I also found the following 29
December 1714 marriage record: "Decemb. 7. zeggeden; Thomas
Barber, j.m. V.N. York met Helena Brouwer j.d. V. Goanes; Decemb.
29." Loosely translated, Thomas Barber, a single man from New York
City, was married to Helene Brouwer, a single woman from Gowanus
[now Brooklyn, Kings County, New York]. According to Maitland Dirk
Brower's database, "Descendants of George Harvey Brower," at
RootsWeb.com's WorldConnect Project, Thomas Barber was born circa
1688 and was a resident of Brooklyn; he married Madaleentje-3
Brouwer, baptized at Brooklyn on 2 April 1692, daughter of Adam-2
Adamse Brouwer (Adam-1) and Maritje Hendricksen. On 23 October
1730, "Thomas Barber, Wed'r Van Lena Brouwer v. Nieuw York & Mary
Wolc, Wed. van William Salomonas van Boston, biede woonende alhier"
(New York RDC). As grooms in the same church in the same year were
Edward and Thomas Barber brothers or otherwise closely related?
As Dorothy Koenig noted, no mention of Edward Barber is found
in Freehold, Monmouth County, New Jersey after 10 September 1732.
By 19 September 1732, an Edward Barber was residing in Somerset
County, New Jersey:

1732, Oct 10. Burt, Benjamin, of Somerset Co., Int.
Admin. granted to John Mills, cooper. Fellow bondsmen:
Peter VanNest, John Freasuer (Frazer), of County
aforesaid, and Alexander Mackdowall, of Perth Amboy. Lib
B. p. 305.
1732, Oct 27 Inventory (filed 3 Sept 1740), Ledger
book-debts 18 1/2 pages... Made by John Fraizer, Jan
Hendryse, Andresies TenEyk.
Inventory or List of Book Debts outstanding, due to
Heirs of Benj. Burt: ...
1732... Sep 19, Thos. Sollins, Edwd. Barber (New
Jersey Colonial Documents--Calendar of Wills 1730-1750,
p. 78-79)

According to Fred Meek, an Edward Barber, born in 1685, died
in Hunterdon County, New Jersey in 1743. Was this Edward Barber
identical with the one who married Marike Tys in 1714 and/or the
one who resided in Somerset County in 1732?
In 1753, we find another association between Matthias Barbar
and Nathaniel Foster in Hunterdon County, New Jersey. The
inventory of the estate of William Barber of Lebanon Township was
taken on 16 January 1753 by Nathaniel Foster and Andrew Bray. On
18 January 1753, Jemima Barber declined her right to the
administration of William's estate "in favour of her father, John
Burroughs" (New Jersey Colonial Documents--Calendar of Wills 1751-
1760). On 6 March 2002, Fred Meek provided important further
details that connected Matthias Barbar not only to William Barber
but to an Edward Barber as well.

Only one other person is mentioned in the will. In
the inventory it says William owned four bushels of wheat
from Matthias Barber. Did Matthias owe him wheat because
William had an interest in the land Matthias farmed?
This mention of Matthias along with the mention
Nathaniel Foster (a [probable] brother [or possibly the
father] of Jane Foster, wife of Matthias) makes William
Barber of Trenton [sic, Lebanon Township] a probable
brother of Matthias Barber of Sussex County.
William's wife was Jemima Burroughs [disputed
below], a daughter of John Burroughs, who was acquainted
with Edward Barber.

Indeed, "four Bushel of Whete of matthias Barber" are included
in the Administration Bond & Inventory on the Estate of William
Barber, Hunterdon County 1753 (File 328J). William Barber must
have also been born circa 1733 or earlier.
At first glance it would certainly seem that Jemima
(Burroughs) Barber was the widow of William Barber. Certainly
there was a connection between Jemima and William but it may not
have been that of husband and wife. According to the on-line B-Be
Surname Index of Colonial Families of Philadelphia, (edited by John
W. Jordan, published by Lewis Publishers of New York in 1911 in 2
volumes) at http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/philadelphia/
bios/cfofphil/b-1.txt, Jemima Burroughs, daughter of John
Burroughs, married Joseph Barber rather than William Barber (page
1670). If there is no error in the original work or in the
transcribed index, then the nature of the connection between Jemima
(Burroughs) Barber and William Barber is unclear.

For the full complete document see...

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~streeter/BARBAR.TXT

Perry ()