Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2002-05 > 1021998970

From: mary k mccashland <>
Subject: [D-Col] Harmon ABell b abt 1811 in New York
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:36:10 -0600

everyone,
I am looking for birth, siblings, etc. information about Harmon ABELL who
was born abt 1811 somewhere in New York. Several of us have always
thought that he was of Dutch ancestry, but *all of his children* said
that he was born in New York when they replied to the 1880 census. There
was an adult baptism/christening of Harmon ABELL in Schagticoke, New
York, into the Dutch reformed church. But I don't know if he was 'my'
Harmon ABELL or not.

1st - does this sound like a Dutch name to any of you ??

2nd - would it be likely for someone who was not Dutch to be baptized /
christened into the Dutch reformed church in 1834 ??

3rd - how old would a person have to be, to be considered an adult for an
adult christening ??

4th - I find no land records in his name yet he was a farmer. If he
did not own his land, what kind of records would exist for the rental (or
whatever) of the land ??

5th - finally - of course - anyone else connected to this character ??

I am already on the Rensseler list - contemplating having to join each
list for every one of the counties in New York. Suggestions ??
thanks,
Mary McCashland

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.