Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2002-05 > 1022074471

From: "Peter R Christoph" <>
Subject: Re: [D-Col] Harmon ABell b abt 1811 in New York
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 09:35:19 -0400

As Lorine has noted, the Abeel family name is a good possibility. It is also
sometimes written O'Bail, reflecting an English speaker's attempt to
represent the Dutch pronunciation of the name.

By 1834 all the Dutch Reformed churches in the area were conducting services
in English, and in many small communities were (and still are) the only
church in town. No matter what your nationality, if you went to church,
that's where you went.

An adult baptism would depend upon the minister's definition of how he chose
to regard the individual. I would think that even an early adolescent would
be considered old enough to understand what was going on, and speak for
himself, and thus be an adult. In an infant baptism, the parents or sponsors
have to disavow the devil, recite the creed, and so forth on behalf of the
child.

Schagticoke land patents were purchased from the city of Albany. Other
neighboring lands would have included van Rensselaer manor lands which would
have been acquired by lifetime lease from the manor, and not recorded in
county deed books. The manor records can be found at the New York State
Library, although some were burned in a fire at the State Capitol in 1911.

Peter