Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2002-11 > 1037493884

Subject: Re: [D-Col] Penelope Stout----a legend
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:44:44 EST

I found this reference at some point concerning Penelope:

==============
12 Sep 1648":Ambrose London plaintive agt:ye wife of Tho: Aplegate defent in
an action of slander for saying his wife did milke her Cowe"

"The defent saith yt shee said noe otherwise but as Penellopey Prince tould
her yt Ambrose his wife did milke her Cowe"

"Rodger Scotte being deposed saith yt being in ye house of Tho: Aplegate hee
did heare Pennellopy Prince saye yt ye wife of Ambrose London did milke ye
Cowe of Tho: Aplegate"

"Tho: Greedye being deposed saith yt Pennellope Prince being att his house
hee did heare her saye yt shee and Aplegates Daughter must com as witnesses
agat: Ambrose his wife milking Aplegates Coew"

"Pennellope Prince being questationed adknowled her faulte in soe speaking
and being sorrie her words she spake gave sattisfaction on both sides."
source: Gravesend Town Book, vol. 1, Sept 12, 1648.
===============================

If Penelope was supposedly married to Richard Stout in 1642 or '44 (as I have
seen cited without references), would she have been cited in the Gravesend
Town Book above by her maiden name?

Regards,
Rick

In a message dated 11/16/02 1:33:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> In a message dated 11/15/2002 7:01:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> writes:
>
> > Phyllis - a few corrections: the date of the shipwreck must have been
> > 1642, not 1620, since Penelope was born in 1622 and was 19 or 20 when she
> > sailed to America. Richard Stout was born in 1615 in Nottinghamshire and
> > was married in 1644 in Gravesend, L. I., which would make him 29, not 40
> > years old. Pat
> >

> Pat,

This thread: