Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2002-11 > 1037727391

From: "Howard Swain" <>
Subject: [D-Col] Some 1600's shipwrecks (was: Penelope Stout----a legend)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:36:31 -0800

Hi all,

From: <>
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2002 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: [D-Col] Penelope Stout----a legend

> In a message dated 11/15/2002 7:01:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> writes:
>
> > Phyllis - a few corrections: the date of the shipwreck must have been
> > 1642, not 1620, since Penelope was born in 1622 and was 19 or 20 when she
> > sailed to America. Richard Stout was born in 1615 in Nottinghamshire and
> > was married in 1644 in Gravesend, L. I., which would make him 29, not 40
> > years old. Pat
>
> Pat,
>
> Then of course the question arises, was there a shipwreck around this time?
> That's the kind of event that was big news, and one would think there would
> be some mention of it in the NN records.

First, I admit to being skeptical of all the dates above and would like to see
evidence for them. But based on when their children seem to have had
to have been born, I do feel that a marriage date for Richard and Penelope
in the 1644 time frame is reasonable.

I have found only 2 shipwrecks in New Netherland in the mid 1600's.

1) Sometime before the 9th of Nov. 1648 the yacht, Cat, ran aground
on Sandy Hook. This was a smaller ship (a yacht) and appears to have
been engaged in trade between New Amsterdam and Curacao. So, I
doubt if it had any immigrants on it from The Netherlands.
Cargo and crew are mentioned, but not passengers. See:
CDM p. 121; New York Historical Mss.: Dutch, vol IV, pp 575-576.

2) On 9 Mar 1657 the 'Prins Maurits' ran aground. My guess is it was
on Fire Island about 60 miles out from New Amsterdam. This ship was
carrying immigrants for Delaware. You can read about it here:
http://searches2.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ifetch2?/u1/textindices/D/Dutch-Colonies+2000+731816582550+F

I agree that if there had been one as in the story, there should be some
record. We have good records from this time (1640-1650) --
Registers of the Provincial Secretary, Council Minutes, various
Correspondence, etc.

Remember that the earliest time at which the Penelope Stout story
was written down is apparently 1765 -- about 120 years after the
alleged shipwreck. Immagine our writing today about an event in
1880 -- say in the wild west.

Regards,
Howard

This thread: