Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2002-11 > 1037738174

From: Jerry Vandiver <>
Subject: Re: [D-Col] Some 1600's shipwrecks (was: Penelope Stout----a legend)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:36:16 -0800 (PST)

Cor may correct my understanding of this, but I have
always understood that when the name is found "van
Veere" or "van der Veere', it was probably referring
to the town in Zeeland. The town was named for the
"ferry" that ran from there. Also, in most early
cases (like Adriaen Blaes below or in the case of
Maryn Adriaenszen van Veere), I have not found it to
be an adopted surname.

In the cases where it is written Veer, there are two
thoughts out there. That it still means "ferry" but
is not necessarily referring to the town; or that it
means "feather". The latter is a very recent belief
that I have not found much support for.

Jerry

http://searches2.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl?list=dutch-colonies