Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2002-11 > 1037740988

Subject: [D-Col] Re: [NEW-NETH] Re: Some 1600's shipwrecks (was: Penelope Stout----a legend)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:23:08 EST

In a message dated 11/19/2002 2:00:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> I wonder though about the classification of "shipwreck". This
> is family lore, legend, and possibly myth. How much was
> accurately remembered? What exactly was meant? Did a ship sink
> with a huge loss of life? Was a ship disabled and have to limp
> into port with some damages? Was there some loss of life, but
> not much? Perhaps a ship ran aground, and some passengers were
> killed.....

Lorine,
Yes, indeed. In fact, the version I had says that the ship literally beached
itself, and most of the passengers were able to disembark to the beach
without really getting wet. The injury supposedly sustained by Penelope's
husband occurred just before the ship ran aground. So references such as you
provided might be as useful as any.

Ted

This thread: