Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2002-11 > 1037920479

From: "Howard Swain" <>
Subject: Re: [D-Col] Some 1600's shipwrecks (was: Penelope Stout----a legend)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:14:39 -0800

Hi all,

From: "Jerry Vandiver" <>
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 12:11 PM

> > Remember that the earliest time at which the
> Penelope Stout story was written down is apparently
> 1765 -- about 120 years after the alleged shipwreck.
> Immagine our writing today about an event in 1880 --
> say in the wild west. >
>
> Terribly valid point. One of the persisting legends
> in the early Delaware Vanderveer family history is
> that the family arrived aboard a vessel around 1638
> which ran aground at Sandy Hook (the one on the
> Delaware was approximately where New Castle is today,
> if memory serves) and that the family built a house
> from the timbers.

<snip>

> After quite a bit of research, I found that I could
> put traditions from three separate sources together
> and come up with the legend.

Thanks Jerry, I'm glad to hear you say that because I noticed that
the two events I presented have in combination: a ship running aground
on Sandy Hook, a ship carrying immigrants running aground, the
word Prins, and an encounter with Indians. It occured to me that
perhaps these events got merged, enhanced, and ascribed to Penelope?
Maybe we should throw in the Staten Island massacre by Indians
in Sept 1655 just for good measure.

So, there we have 3 events which taken together could have
been the basis for the legend. It is very interesting that you
were able to show something similar for another family legend.

As to hostile Indians -- I'm not up on the history of early NJ.
Where there any Indian attacks or massacres there in the 1640's?
Especially in the Monmouth Co. area.
I had remembered the name Murderer's Kill; but on looking it
up I find it was on the Delaware River. It was about 1648,
though, that the event happened that produced the name.

Regards,
Howard

This thread: