Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2002-11 > 1038519631

From: "Bonnie Bowman Henson" <>
Subject: Re: [D-Col] Penelope Stout----a legend
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:40:31 -0800

Dear Howard and list,

You asked if there were "...any more mentions of Penelope Prince in the
Gravesend Town Book..." than the one cited earlier in this thread as coming
from the Gravesend Town Book, Vol. 1, Sept 12, 1648. You also refer to a
citation from *The Stout Family of Delaware* by Thomas Hale Streets, 1915,
noting that Streets mentions an item from the Gravesend Town Books on p. 14
and says this is the only mention of Penelope in those town books.

First, as far as I know, the Gravesend Town Records have not been
transcribed by anyone. Is that true?

Second, I have an index to those books I copied from an LDS microfilm. A
quick search of these indices copied by Evelyn Briggs-Baldwin in 1916
reveals the information below.

*Gravesend Town Records Index,1646-1650,* Liber One: Penelope Prince, p. 24;
Richard Stout, pp. 4, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 38, 41, 43, 45, 46,
68, 69, 99, 103, 114. (No Van Princis listed.)

*Gravesend Town Records Index, 1653-1670,* Vol. II, Deeds and Leases: (No
mention of Penelope Prince/Van Princis nor Richard Stout.)

*Gravesend Town Records, 1656-1735,* Vol. III, Town Meetings: (No mention of
Penelope Prince/Van Princis nor Richard Stout.)

*Gravesend Town Records, 1662-1699,* Vol. IV, Court Minutes: (No mention of
Penelope Prince/Van Princis nor Richard Stoujt.)

Another document provided by Baldwin summarizes the number of mentions in
all four of the *Gravesend Town Record* books and notes Penelope Prince is
mentioned only once; and Richard Stout, 18 times. (Baldwin forgot to add in
the page 18 mention of Stout she had placed in the margin of her earlier
index; had she done so, the mentions of Stout would have added up to 19 as
shown above under the 1646-1650 list.) No other mentions of either person
with any other spelling variations are noted by Baldwin.

Hope this helps further the discussion.

Bonnie Bowman Henson

This thread: