Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2005-10 > 1129777344

Subject: Re: [D-Col] Who is Metje Grevenraet
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 03:02:24 +0000

In looking for the smugglers Symon Jansen and Henrick Jansen who were implicated
as possible half-brothers of Anthony Janszen Van Salee in a genealogy at the
following website

http://www.pcez.com/~bigshoe/Vgar/vanleuven.html

I found the excellent treatment in English by Willem Rabbelier and Cor Snabel
dealing with harbour procedures in New Netherland and smuggling. This can be
accessed at the Olive Tree website:

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/nn/mm_11.shtml

However, they stated that only two ships, the St Beninjo in 1647 and the Jonge
Prins van Deenmarcken in 1648 had been confiscated in all of WIC history for
smuggling.

On the other hand, I found a case of confiscation of another ship in New
Netherland in 1644 for smuggling. The ship was the St. Peter and the skipper was
no other than the Symon Jansen mentioned above.

My source for this confiscation is O'Callaghan's Calendar of Dutch Manuscripts
(CDM), page 93. In the Council Minutes of December 15, 1644 we find the
following Court Proceedings:

Fiscal vs, Symon Jansen, skipper of the ship St, Peter, smuggling.

Then on December 19, 1644 (CDM, page 93) the ship and cargo are ordered
confiscated.

In the earlier 1639 case cited by Rabbelier and Snabel, both Symon Jansen and
Hendrick Jansen were on the same ship, the Haring, which had smuggled some
liquor. This ship was not confiscated.

From the Court Proceedings of this case (CDM, page 69) it was referred to as
Fiscal vs, Hendrick Jansen from Bremen. Hendrick was referred to as Assistant
Gunner (Constabelsmaat). The court record shows that he was tortured after being
made a prisoner.

Again, in 1642 this Hendrick Jansen was once more hailed into court for being
insolent to the Fiscal. See CDM, page 79.

He is referred to as "late gunner" and I think this ties him to the Hendrick
Jansen from Bremen. His penalty was forced servitude to the WIC for one month
and a fine of 19 guilders and costs.

This might possibly be the Hendrick Jansen who with Jan Martensen purchased a
yacht in 1646. Bill of sale dated December 11, 1646 (CDM, page 36).

The Hendrick Jansen from Bremen seems to have lived in New Netherland proper
before moving to the South River (now Delaware) where in 1676 he petitioned
concerning his fine for shooting a man's horse (CDM, page 352).

If the Constabelsmaat Hendrick Jansen was indeed from Bremen, as he claimed, he
would not likely be the brother of Anthony Jansen van Salee.

Howard, I supposed that Charles Hoppin was correct that Metje was a widow in the
1665 list because a single lady who had never married would be living with
someone else and would be unlikely to be listed. But perhaps if she was
foster-mother of the Roosevelt children she would have been considered a
head-of-household. I seem to recall seeing her on one of the Making of America
sites, so I will be looking.

The book cited by Doug, Amazing Roosevelt Family by Karl Schiflgiesser, 1942,
page 375, suggests that the Grevenraets were probably relatives of Jannetje, the
mother of Nicholas Rosenfelt. But I am a little reluctant to think that the
Grvenraet family, who were not agriculturists as far as I can tell, would have
been chosen to work the farm of the deceased father and mother of Nicholas
Rosenfelt as stated in that book. Perhaps there is room for considering that one
of Metje's relatives, if not Metje herself, may have inherited the farm but
predominantly in trust for the orphans.

In researching Hendrick Jansen I found so many persons by that name in New
Netherland that it was very time-consuming to pick out the one who was the
mariner. I eliminated Hendrick Jansen the tailor and Hendrick Jansen the smith
or locksmith.

Best Wishes to all.
Frank S. Crosswhite

This thread: