Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2005-10 > 1130110865

From: "Howard Swain" <>
Subject: Farm of Claes Martenszen (was: Who is Metje Grevenraet)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:41:05 -0700

Hi all,

From: <>
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: [D-Col] Who is Metje Grevenraet

<big snip>

> So, who comprised the Grevenraet family which according to the book Amazing
> Roosevelt Family by Karl Schriflgiesser (1942, pg. 375) were "placed" on the
> farm of the deceased "Cleyn" Claes Martensen van Rosenfelt to keep it up and
> work it? The only male Grevenraets we know of in New Netherland are in the
> other group of Grevenraets and seem to be well-occupied elsewhere.
> The only male yet proven to be associated with Metje's group of Grevenraets,
> before Metje herself married Anthony Janszen Van Salee would seem to be Jan
> Dircksen Meyer, the husband of Tryntje Andries Grevenraet, unless someone can
> show that Chrystintje Grevenraet was married or that Metje Grevenraet was indeed
> a widow when marrying Anthony Janszen Van Salee.
> Is there perhaps evidence that Jan Dircksen Meyer lived next to the Van
> Rosenfelt farm and took care of it on behalf of the estate, orphanmasters or
> administrators? We should try to correct any misinformation which may have
> appeared in books on the Roosevelt family.
> The farm of Cleyn Claes, Claes Martenszen, also called Claes Van Rosenfelt, was
> back of Stuyvesant's Bouwery between present Broadway and the East River, in
> the neighborhood of Tenth Street, according to the Genealogical Record of the
> Saint Nicholas Society of New York, Volume 2, page 130.

I'm not sure if "in the neighborhood of Tenth Street" is intended to refer
to Stuyvesant's Bouwery or Claes' or both.

However, the present-day 10th St. is in the lower part of Stuyvesant's farm.
His chapel was near the present location of St. Marks (2nd Ave at 10th.).
[Stokes' Icon. VI, plate 84B-b]

Claes Martenszen's farm was quite a bit farther north -- more-or-less
between the present-day Lexington and 5th Aves. and 31st and 34th Sts.
[Icon. VI, plate 84B-c]

In Icon. vol VI, pp 137-138 Stokes tells about the ownership of the
Claes Martenszen farm. Toward the end of that piece, he says:
"After Claes Martenszen's death his land reverted to the government;
as part of the common lands of the city of New York it was conveyed to
Casper Samler." But that conveyance does not seem to have happened
until 1799. So, I don't know what went on in the interim.

Jan Dirckszen Meyer seems to have spent the entire time that he was
in New Netherland and New York in New Amsterdam / NYC.
[see various Lists]

Standard Source Abbreviations:

This thread: