Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2005-10 > 1130110865

From: "Howard Swain" <>
Subject: Farm of Claes Martenszen (was: Who is Metje Grevenraet)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:41:05 -0700

Hi all,

From: <>
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: [D-Col] Who is Metje Grevenraet

<big snip>

> So, who comprised the Grevenraet family which according to the book Amazing
> Roosevelt Family by Karl Schriflgiesser (1942, pg. 375) were "placed" on the
> farm of the deceased "Cleyn" Claes Martensen van Rosenfelt to keep it up and
> work it? The only male Grevenraets we know of in New Netherland are in the
> other group of Grevenraets and seem to be well-occupied elsewhere.
>
> The only male yet proven to be associated with Metje's group of Grevenraets,
> before Metje herself married Anthony Janszen Van Salee would seem to be Jan
> Dircksen Meyer, the husband of Tryntje Andries Grevenraet, unless someone can
> show that Chrystintje Grevenraet was married or that Metje Grevenraet was indeed
> a widow when marrying Anthony Janszen Van Salee.
>
> Is there perhaps evidence that Jan Dircksen Meyer lived next to the Van
> Rosenfelt farm and took care of it on behalf of the estate, orphanmasters or
> administrators? We should try to correct any misinformation which may have
> appeared in books on the Roosevelt family.
>
> The farm of Cleyn Claes, Claes Martenszen, also called Claes Van Rosenfelt, was
> back of Stuyvesant's Bouwery between present Broadway and the East River, in
> the neighborhood of Tenth Street, according to the Genealogical Record of the
> Saint Nicholas Society of New York, Volume 2, page 130.
<snip>

I'm not sure if "in the neighborhood of Tenth Street" is intended to refer
to Stuyvesant's Bouwery or Claes' or both.

However, the present-day 10th St. is in the lower part of Stuyvesant's farm.
His chapel was near the present location of St. Marks (2nd Ave at 10th.).
[Stokes' Icon. VI, plate 84B-b]

Claes Martenszen's farm was quite a bit farther north -- more-or-less
between the present-day Lexington and 5th Aves. and 31st and 34th Sts.
[Icon. VI, plate 84B-c]

In Icon. vol VI, pp 137-138 Stokes tells about the ownership of the
Claes Martenszen farm. Toward the end of that piece, he says:
"After Claes Martenszen's death his land reverted to the government;
as part of the common lands of the city of New York it was conveyed to
Casper Samler." But that conveyance does not seem to have happened
until 1799. So, I don't know what went on in the interim.

Jan Dirckszen Meyer seems to have spent the entire time that he was
in New Netherland and New York in New Amsterdam / NYC.
[see various Lists]

Regards,
Howard

Standard Source Abbreviations: