Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2007-08 > 1187049505

From: "Pamela J. Sears" <>
Subject: Re: [DUTCH-COLONIES] Looking for the parents of the HOFF sistersofMonmouth Co., New Jersey
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:58:25 -0400

Hi Constance,

Looks like you have an interesting puzzle on your hands, but you've
already found some good results by identifying the four sisters.

I do not have a positive response to your query, but there is an
intriguing possibilty you may wish to pursue. First let me say that I am
not at all comfortable with Esther Clark Wright's statements about the
four Hoff or Van Der Hoff brothers from Amsterdam who were shipwrecked
off Sandy Hook.

Rather, I would suggest you consider this William Hoff and his wife
Elizabeth (unidentified), who made his will (abstract) as follows: [Note
the appearance of the witness, Garshom Walling.] This William Hoff may
be the father of the William Hoff who married Abigail Walling, who is
said to be the daughter of Gershom Walling.

> Calendar of New Jersey Wills, Vol. II 1730-1750, Lib. D, p. 435.
> Page: 239, William Hoff, 30 Oct 1742, Middletown Township, Monmouth Co.
> yeoman; will of. Wife, Elizabeth, executrix. Son, William. Daughter, Catherine Dorset, and "three youngest children." Witnesses--James Mott, Jarratt Wall, Garsham Walling. Proved Nov. 20, 1746.
> 1746, Dec. 11. Inventory of the estate, £386.04.0, includes 2 guns and negro man. Made by James Mott and Gisbert Vanbrackel.

The above William Hoff (of the will abstract) was baptized at the
Reformed Dutch Church of Brooklyn, Kings Co., NY on 20 Apr 1685, the son
of Derrick Pauliszen (Hoff) and his 2nd wife Sara Willems (Yates/Jeats).

Derrick Pauliszen (Hoff) and his extended family removed to Hunterdon
County, New Jersey, where he made his will (abstract):

> Calendar of New Jersey Wills, Vol. II 1730-1750, Lib. 3, p. 108.
> Page: 239, Derrick Hoff, 19 Nov 1722, Maidenhead, Hunterdon Co.
> will of. Children--William, Sary Anderson, Richard, Thomas, Powel, John, Charles, Joseph, Benjamin, and Sarah. Residue to all children, except Mary Gary. Executors--sons Powel and John. Witnesses--John Albade, Rut Johnson and Hannah Johnson. Proved Dec. 22, 1730.

Derrick Pauliszen (Hoff) was the son of Paulus Dirckszen (Hoff) and his
first wife Geertje Willems, who had immigrated to New Netherland circa
1651. He married 2nd to Jannetje Jans, and died before 24 May 1692.

Long Island Source Records
Will of Paulus Dirckse and Jannetje Janse, his wife, at Bedford of
Breucklyn in Kings County. Dated March 28, 1688. Revokes all former
wills and codicils. To Dirck Paulus, eldest son, by former wife Geertie
Williamse, one piece of eight. To Dirck Pauluson and also to children of
Lysbeth Paylyssen 25 £. Executor not named. Witnesses: Thomas Lamberson,
John Gertse Dorlandt. Proved May 24th, 1692. (Recorded in Liber. I of
Conveyances, page 278).

-----------------

Because Gershom Walling was supposedly from Rhode Island, and probably
English, the names of your proposed daughters of William Hoff and
Abigail Walling would not strictly follow Dutch naming patterns.

William Hoff of Monmouth County, NJ had siblings who lived in both
Hunterdon and Somerset Counties, but their progeny have proved very
difficult to trace and identify.

You may wish to search the archives of this List, for I know the Hoff
family has been discussed numerous times.

I hope this information may prove helpful, and I wish you luck with your
search.

Regards,
Pam Sears

This thread: