Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2007-08 > 1187132813

From: Constance Britten <>
Subject: Re: [DUTCH-COLONIES] Looking for the parents of the HOFF sisters ofMonmouth Co., New Jersey
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:06:53 -0700

Pam, thank you so much for your post. I'm very grateful to have the
benefit of your insights into this business of the HOFF sisters!

I do have some further questions about these possible fathers and
grandfathers of the HOFF sisters (I have not found these addressed in
the Archives):

Does it seem likely that William Jr. (and perhaps even William Sr.) may
have become Baptist? Stillwell, in Vol. II, Page 264 of his Historical
and Genealogical Miscellany, quotes from James MOTT's "Book Relating to
Church Dissiplin" of the Middletown (Monmouth Co.) Baptist Church:

"December 2 = 1750 At a Publick Meeting In MiddleTown Jacub truax John
Bowne Jun.
and William huf Ware Excommunicated and difoned By the Church Truax and
Bowne for
drinking to Exces And Neglect of the Worfhip of God. And huf for his
Profane and lufe life
and neglect of the Worfhip of God."

Entries immediately preceding and subsequent to William huf's
excommunication are disciplinary matters relating to Gershom Walling:

"1 of December 1750 at a Church Meeting at MiddelTown Complaints Came
Againft
Gerfhum Wolling for drinking to Exces; and Neglecting the Public Worfhip
of God on the
furft day of the Weak: And Keeping at home In Bad Compiny and leting
them haue drink
to Exces: Was By the Church Suspended til further hearing."

[insert the above excommunication entry here]

"5 of January 1750 at a Church Meeting at Middletowne Gerfhum Walling
appeing the
Charge of drinking to Excefs Being laid Before him he Confesed Gilty
With Some Sines of
Repentance apearing Yet Not So fully as to Sattiffy the ChuRch his
Sufpenfhon Was Continued."

(There must have been a fine party at Gershom's house at the end of
November 1750!)
;-)

So anyway -- IF this "huf" character is indeed William Jr. -- and note
that William Sr. had already passed away some 8 years prior, and as
you've noted the names of James MOTT and Gershom WALLING do both appear
as witnesses to William Sr.'s will -- and IF the four sisters were
indeed William Jr.'s daughters, then they may very well have been
christened in the Middletown Baptist Church, as William Jr.'s
excommunication comes after the four sisters were (most likely) born.

However, Stillwell states that the records of that church between 1735
and 1785 are non-existent (a long blank space has apparently been left
in the church record book between entries on those dates) and so
Stillwell concludes that "it would appear that former church clerks kept
their records loosely, and often as personal, rather than church
property, with intent to insert them [into the official church record
book] at convenient time, and such has recently been proven the case by
the discovery of Elder Mott's Journal."

Unfortunately MOTT's Journal does not list marriages, christenings or
baptisms but rather seems entirely dedicated to "disciplinary" matters.
I would be very interested to learn of any further finds w.r.t. the
records of the Middletown Baptist Church. I personally am not familiar
at all with the workings of a Baptist church, either modern or
18th-century -- do they generally have a single minister/pastor, and/or
can the deacons or Elders christen infants and/or perform marriage
ceremonies? If the records are being kept the the people performing
these duties (such as MOTT's "discipline" journal), might it be possible
to identify who (all) may have recorded christenings and/or marriages
during that time period?

-- Constance

This thread: