Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2012-09 > 1347405387

From: CChester <>
Subject: [DUTCH-COLONIES] The 1686 will of Jan Theuniszen (Van Tilburg) &Tryntje Pieters ???
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 19:16:27 -0400

I am looking to locate a copy of the will of Jan Theuniszen (Van Tilburg)
and his first wife, Tryntje Pieters.

Riker, in his Revised History of Harlem (
http://books.google.com/books?id=WFAOAAAAIAAJ) at pages 219-220 (footnote)
states that the couple wrote a joint will dated January 24, 1686. I have
searched some of the more obvious places (NY Will Abstracts, NJ Will
Abstracts, issues of the NYGBR) for this will and have not been able to
locate it.

Is anyone aware of the actual existence of this will? If so, where might I
get a copy, or transcript, of it?

Has anyone else actively searched for this will and came up empty
themselves?

I am aware of the exchange on this List in late 2007-early 2008 discussing
the multiple Jan Theuniszens, and the confusion and error in the early,
incorrect, identification of this Tryntje Pieters as Tryntje Cronenburg.
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/dutch-colonies/2008-01/1199574567
There was no mention of the location of the will (which I assume) Riker
viewed, in this exchange.

My interest in finding the will is to confirm some of the children of Jan
Theuniszen (Van Tilburg) and Tryntje Pieters, specifically Johannes,
Pieter, Barent & Jacob, for whom baptism records are not found.
Cross-baptismal sponsorships strongly suggest their relationship as
that extra piece of confirmation in this will, as claimed by Riker (there
are errors, including mis-identifying Tryntje as Tryntje Cronenburg and
assigning children to Barent Van Tilburg, in Riker's footnote).

Any insight into this will's existence would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Chester

This thread: