EAST-TEXAS-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > EAST-TEXAS-ROOTS > 2002-02 > 1014491704

From: "Wanda Davis" <>
Subject: RE: [E-TX-R] Alabama to East Texas
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 13:15:04 -0600

By land, river, Gulf of Mexico or a combination of all different ways of
travel. One of my families (Samuel JOHNSTON & Mary Susan GOBER) came
from Mississippi westward to the Mississippi River, got on the steamboat
Robert E. Lee, went down the Missippi River, across the Gulf of Mexico,
landed near Galveston, TX, then by land to Anderson Co. Texas. This was
the 1880's.

In 1857, another (James D. REID & Permelia WILLIAMS) went by land from
Lincoln Co. Tennessee east to the Mississippi River, then by boat down
the Mississippi, across the Gulf to Indianola, TX, then by land to
Anderson Co. TX.

In 1824, another line, George & Drucilla CARTER, moved by land from Pike
Co. Mississippi to Sabine District Texas. They crossed the rivers by
ferry when available or homemade rafts.

Wanda Bowlin Davis - Kerrville TX -