ELLIOTT-L Archives

Archiver > ELLIOTT > 2001-12 > 1007498258

From: "bjh durrenberger" <>
Subject: Re: [ELLIOTT] JOSEPH ELLIOTT, AL, a Cherokee
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:37:38 -0800

Paul,
The children of Joseph Elliott, who was granted a reservation in Jackson County, Alabama, were the following:

1 Joseph Elliott - 1847
... +Martha Winford (evidence is tenuous for this)
........ 2 Frankie (Martha) Elliott - 1840?
............. +Matthew Killingsworth 1796 -
........ 2 James Elliott - 1840?
............. +Matilda 1807 -
........ 2 John Elliott
........ 2 Joseph (Josiah) Elliott, Jr. - 1838 (called Jonah in the Siler Roll)
............. +Nancy Childress 1806 - 1884
........ 2 Mary (Polly) Elliott - 1877
............. +Vaughn
........ 2 Winford Elliott 1800? - 1859
........ 2 Mahala (Hiley) Elliott 1804 - 1873
............. +Absolom Hillin 1800? - 1842
........ 2 George Elliott 1806 - 1856
........ 2 William Elliott 1810? -
........ 2 David Elliott 1814 - 1872
............. +Nancy Tharp - 1841
........ *2nd Wife of David Elliott:
............. +Dorothy 1818 - 1889
........ 2 Richard Elliott 1820? - 1852
............. +Eliza Smith 1830? -

Reasons Jonah, Josiah, Joe, Joseph Jr. are the same person:

1.) Siler Roll: Referred to as Jonah Elliott, deceased husband of Nancy Elliott, son of Joseph Elliott, children listed as David, Louisa, Jonah (I believe this to be a mistake made by Siler, no subsequent family references include the name Jonah.)
2.) Act of Congress Roll: Referred to as Josiah Elliott, deceased husband of Nancy, son of Old Joseph, children listed as David, Louisa, Josiah
3.) Guion Miller Roll: Application # 11733 of James B. Hillin (Joe), Application # 11790 of Martha A. Elliott Davis (Joseph), and Application # 11789 of David I. Elliott (Joseph) lists Joe/Joseph Elliott as child of Joseph Elliott (no Jonah) and death date for Joe/Joseph is 1838 (the same date that Louisa lists below as the death date of her father Josiah).
4.) Roll # M1869, case 142: Notarized testimony from Louisa J. Elliott Ligon states she is daughter of Josiah Elliott who was a son of Joe Elliott. Was 58 at that time (Sept 5, 1896) and father died when she was 9 months old(would be 1838-39).
5.) Roll # M1869, case 142: Notarized testimony from T. B. Hillin of Rusk County, Texas says "Old Joe was a Cherokee Indian and held a Reservation in said Co. about 4 miles NE of Coffeeville, ALA. He was the father of Joe Elliott Jr. and Joe Elliott Jr. was the father of Dave Elliott (child of Siler Roll Jonah, and Act of Congress Roll Josiah), and Dave Elliott married Harriet F. Hillin. Dave Elliott was the father of James Elliott of Pinehill but now residing in Indian Terr., Pryor Creek."
6.) Roll # M1869, case 142: Notarized testimony from Harriet F. Howard (nee Hillin, whose 1st husband was Dave Elliott) states that David (Dave) Elliott was a son of Josiah Elliott, the son of Joseph Elliott.

Betty