EMERSON-L Archives

Archiver > EMERSON > 2001-05 > 0990757262

From: Don & Diane Davis <>
Subject: Re: [EMERSON] eastern emersons
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 22:21:02 -0400

I live Sutton, NH and have checked the History of Sutton by Augusta H. Worthen. There is
only one Emerson family listed. Willard Emerson b. In Haverhill, MA, May 7 1773 m. Nov.
16, 1797, Nabby Davis, dau. of Jonathan Davis, Sr. They had nine children. None of them
were named John. Their oldest was nancy, b. Aug. 9 1798 and the second born was Nehemiah,
b. April 13, 1800. The 1790 census does not list any Emersons in Sutton or the neighboring
towns of Warner, Fisherfield (Newbury), New London, Kearsarge Gore (Wilmot), Bradford or
Salisbury. The History of New London, NH does mention one early resident, Nathaniel
Emerson. He was in New London in 1793 because he was baptized by Rev. Job Seamans in New
London in that year. there is no mention of a family.

The Sutton History does not have a name index. It is possible that John Emerson's father
married a woman form Sutton and the information about his family is included with his
wife's family. Do you have any other clues which might be helpful in finding him in the
town history?

Don Davis

> Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 00:11:33 -0500
> From: garla steines <>
>
> I have some information of my gg-grandfather, who was an eastern Emerson,
> John L. Emerson was born in Sutton, Merrimack Co. N.H August 13, 1799, m.
> Judith B. Morton March 18, 1828, in Plainfield, N.H. and were residence of
> Plainfield till about 1831, (as there were 2 children born there) About 1831
> they moved to Salisbury, Merrimack Co N.H. where 4 more children were born,
> and in 1845 moved to Lowell Mass, and finally to Massillon Twp, Cedar Co,
> Iowa. If this sounds familiar to anyone, I would appreciate hearing from
> them, as I have just started to look for John L. Emerson's parents.
>
> Thank you
> G. Steines

> -

This thread: