ENG-BANBURY-AREA-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-BANBURY-AREA > 2001-11 > 1005154714

From: Bren <>
Subject: Re: [BAN] Banbury Workhouse
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 13:38:34 -0400

Dear Wendy:

I was very excited to read there is a guardian minute book and that it is
located at Oxfordshire Record Office. Would this hold records for The Union
Workhouse Neithrop? Can you tell me, what would one find in the minute
book...notes on the children birthed there, the parents, possible family
supports?

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention, and you also, Liz.

Sincere regards,
Brenda Franklin
Canada

Wendy Archer wrote:

> Liz -
>
> > have recently seen a few messages posted about the Banbury Union Workhouse
> and wondered if anyone could help. I have two relatives who died in the
> Neithrop Union Workhouse, Banbury in 1847. I have seen the site about
> workhouses(1881) but wondered how I would go about obtaining a copy of any
> surviving records of the relevent Guardian Minute books that may tell me
> more about my ancestors stay there etc.
>
> The Guardian Minute books for Banbury Workhouse are at the Oxfordshire
> Record Office, open Tues - Sat, for the period 1839-1930.
>
> There are two sites about workhouses:
> http://www.workhouses.org.uk
> and
> http://www.workhouses.co.uk/
>
> The former has a considerable amount of details about the Banbury workhouse.
> --
> Wendy Archer
> Marlow, Bucks, UK

> Visit Ancestry.com for a FREE 14-Day Trial and enjoy access to the #1
> Source for Family History Online. Go to:
> http://www.ancestry.com/rd/redir.asp?targetid=702&sourceid=1237

This thread: